felling very worried what can i expect

Hi I have an appointment at the breast surgery clinic and don’t know what to expect I went to go gp with swelling under armpit and he found lump an left breast next day had appointment come through what happens next

Hello Smelgemom

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very difficult time for you. I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime, maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Smelgemom, I have literally just come back from my appointment at breast clinic. I think most places operate a similar one-stop system. My experience was that I saw the consultant who asked a few basic questions re history and then examined me. She could feel the same thing that I had and then sent me for a mammogram. I hadn’t had one previously (am 44) - they took 2 shots of each breast. That’s not especially pleasant, but it was over very quickly. I was then taken for an ultrasound, where a different doctor looked at the area identified as different and showed me the screen, explaining that they were cysts. After that I went back to wait for a chat with a consultant again, who offered some advice and sent me away for 6 years until i hit breast screening age. Whole process took 4 hours and was long and dull - take a book or better still, a chatty friend/other half who will take in all of the information for you. Best of luck xx

Hi Smelgemom

I’m sorry you have found your way to this forum…But welcome :wink:

What happened to me (I’m based in Scotland) was that I went to the docs, then for a mammogram…I was then booked in to see a consultant for the results the following week.

When I saw the consultant, he asked the usual family history and then gave me an examination. He said that he could feel a lump and would do a syringe biopsy - This is where they take the fluid from the lump for testing. It is extracted with a normal needle and syringe. It is a little uncomfortable, but not sore. In my case, there was no fluid so I then received a local anesthetic and he went in with a large (gun type) needle and took a core biopsy - Again, it wasn’t sore at all, but the local did sting a little.

I was then sent for a chest x-ray and had bloods taken. I should also have received an ultra sound but the sonographer was on holiday so I was sent away for another week. The ultra sound is usually done on the same day.

I returned the following week and had my ultra sound. I then went back to the consultant and was given the results of all my tests and then a proposed treatment plan was put in place. I am due to have my lumpectomy on 3rd May.

The hard part (and everyone will tell you this) is the waiting. This is when you will go to places you didn’t know existed. Please try not to think about it and keep yourself busy with work, family and friends. Please also seek support from those close to you. I also gave the helpline a call on a couple of occasions and also spoke with my breast care nurse.

Take care, look after yourself and please keep us upated.

Good luck,
Martha xx

I’ve been for my appointment today and they couldn’t have been nicer. My appointment was 2pm but I got there a bit earlier. I was back in e car with the all clear by 2.30. I had nurse examination, mammogram with two shots of each boob, (uncomfortable but not painful)and ultrasound. Whatever it was felt by me and my gp has gone now. I did get my period today so perhaps that could be related. I have to say that the whole build up and anticipation is much worse than actually being there. I felt that even if I had bad news today I would have been ok because everyone was so nice and there’s a real sense of being looked after there. I went to the breast institute at Nottingham and the whole experience was excellent.

Also to add I called the helpline a couple of times in the last few weeks and it does help to talk to someone to get you through that waiting period.

That,s great news! I knew they would look after you. Bet you’re celbrating!