Fibroadenoma suspected. How sure can I be?

I attended an appointment I had arranged by my GP at the breast clinic at local hospital today after finding a hard, solid lump near the side of my left breast. 

The Doctor chap examined me, and having found the lump right away, he measured it and dotted the skin around it with black marker pen.

To cut a long story short, I was sent for Mammogram, then Ultrasound. Doc said he highly suspects Fibroadenoma as the growth is approx 18mm, smooth and oval in shape. He said he didn’t suspect cancer but he thought it wise to send me back along to x-ray dept to have a core biopsy carried out. He said he would usually do this himself but because of the positioning of the growth, he felt it wiser to be carried out using imaging to guide the needle.

My question is…am I more or less ‘out of the woods’? Cancerous tumours aren’t usually oval and smooth are they so he’s right to think Fibroadenoma? The core biopsy is just to err on the side of caution?

Has anyone found themselves to be in this position and certain it’s not anything suspect only to be told otherwise? 

Dear Mizfiesta

I am so very sorry that you have not had a response as yet.  I hope that you have had good results and that all is OK.  If you have any questions, concerns or worries, please do give our Support line a call, 0808 800 6000.

Best wishes
Anna
Digital Community Officer

Hi, have you heard anything back? I have no idea what to expect, as lump couldn’t even be seen on scan, but large enough to see with the naked eye if looking at breast carefully? 

Hope you had good news

Lu