finished, but feeling strange

finished, but feeling strange

finished, but feeling strange I had my last radiotherapy a couple of days ago, after 8 x FEC chemo, following mastectomy/lymph clearance last June. It’s been a long haul, and now I’ve got to this stage, with only Tamoxifen to carry on with, it feels really strange! I guess it’ll pass in a few days, but right now I feel in a kind of limbo and rather restless, not knowing quite what to do with myself (there’s actually plenty I’ll be doing - family & home & other such stuff are not in limbo with me!)
Does this feeling ring a bell with anyone?

Absolutely! I finished my treatment in June (other than herceptin & tamoxifen which are a doddle) and found it really really difficult. Everyone treats you as if you are normal yet you still feel you are in a different world. ALso I think there’s an element of security whille you’re at the hospital all the time, grim though it is and you can feel abandoned by the medical profession.
I don’t want to be pessimistic but your estimate of a few days may be short. We are all different of course but I am still going through it to a degree. In the end I organised some counselling which helped.
Apart from anything else though be reassured you are normal to be feelng like this!
Best wishes
Judie

just found the other thread Thank you Judie. I feel I could hug you - very emotional these days! I’ve also just found the other thread along very similar lines to my post (can’t remember the heading, drat it, but it is pretty obvious - not sure why I didn’t see it before). I’ve spent the last 7 months learning to go with the flow, so I guess I just need to keep practising and go easy on myself still.

same here Hi Princess,
I finished 6x FEC and 17 rads in October and lumpectomy and node clearance. Now on Tamoxifen and thats it have been discharged from oncology and have a follow up in the breast clinic in June.
After having all the back-up from the professionals it does feel like Ive been shoved out the door with a cheery wave and thats it Im on my own!! I know with this site we are never on our own though.
Ive been in limbo ever since but have recently started back at work only part time but its doing me the world of good to be back and every body has been so kind.
I have been told that the breast care nurse is still available if I need to talk to her but Ive not really got to know her as I didnt see her much during my treatment.
But hopefully this is the home run and we can look to a brighter future
Take care
Love Julie xx