Following Surgery

HER2 is a protein. Some breast cancers have hormone receptors and are therefore treated with Tamoxifen or similiar depending whether pre or post menopause, breast cancer can also have HER2 receptors, Herceptin therefore is used to treat this, at 3 weekly intervals, I believe a course of 18 is required intravenously (I think, not HER2 myself, just what i’ve gleaned from this site).

Evening Jellymould.
I am sorry you have had to join the happy band here on tne Forums but as you see we are all happy to join in wirh answers when we can. There is nothing worse than the feeling of numbness you get when first diagnosed. The mind goes blank and you take in such a small amount of information. I am sure your BCN would be happy to go over things again with you. It might also be helpful for you to ring the Helpline and have a chat with them. Tel. 0808 800 6000. 9-5 Mon-Fri and 10-2 Sat. They are used to people calling to clarify things and Breast Cancer Care has some very good information booklets. I used them a lot when I was diagnosed last year and found it so reassuring to know my queries could be answered.
I hope all goes well on Friday.

thankyou cackles

dressings of and making sure area is clean…its sore and starting to hold boob just like some of the other ladies on this thread. Trying to keep busy before results of wle and snb which is next tuesday 2nd October. Tiredness hits like a sledgehammer though, like body saying SLOW DOWN you idiot! been starting to read one of the threads on here called Standing outside the dark dark woods…what a lot of trully wonderful inspiring and very brave women!

good luck with the results valley girl. ive had a bad day today, weeping at every little thing, the nerves are now kicking in and it doesn’t help when your boss hasn’t got a compationate bone in her body. sorry to rant. but ive held it together all week and now just feel so lost and confused

Hi Jellymould
I had a lumpectomy in May and then rads and now on Tamoxifen.I finished rads about 6 weeks ago and I know exactly how your feeling.Its perfectly normal to feel the way you do…its just the not knowing what to expect and once your actually doing it it does get better.Sending you all the best of luck for Friday and let us know how your getting on :slight_smile:
love Kate x

Jelly, just read your last post and really wanted to respond. I’ve also been holding it together but had a terrible few days-I think its all part of the roller coaster ride. Its not suprising when you think about it- the shock of getting the diagnosis and then the fact that treatment (which lets face it is full on) starts pretty much immediately. The fact is that your life changes overnight and as Katie says the way you are feeling is very normal.
I’m sorry your boss isn’t compassionate (its beyond me how anyone couldn’t be)-if its any help cancer is regarded as a disability under Equalities legislation and employers have to abide by this. Have you got an Occupational Health dept?-mine were very helpful and sympathetic.
Good luck and hope your op goes well xx