Free Prescriptions from April 1st

Memory fails me…they weren’t free most of the 50s.

1948-1952 free
1952-1961 1 shilling
1961-1965 2 shillings
1965-1968 free
1968-1971 half a crown (12,5p)
1971 20p

Sorry to be a nerd

Jane

LOL Jane, I thought your post was going to give us all the information we needed as you are always so informed about everything!!

Flippin typical about missing out isn’t it.

I mentioned this to someone recently and I swear she nearly said how lucky I was to get free 'scripts but just stopped herself.

Hi,
About time too everyone should get free prescriptions for cancer even if you had to apply on a yearly basis.
Unfortunately it does not apply in Scotland, prescription charges are being phased out for all in stages i think it will be 2011
before they are free. I get mine free now due to a recently dx under-active thyroid (think i would rather pay).
Ajxxx…She probably was thinking that, i was told i would get a piece in jam at anybody,s door when i mentioned my free scripts.
Love Reneexx.

its just been on gmtv that from today cancer patients can apply for these free things,does anybody know if its everybody or just depends on stage of your cancer etc.Its not just the cancer drugs you will get free,its any prescription they said on the news.

They also said it will be an exemption certificate for 5 years! Think it applies to everyone - where can I get the forms?

Have to go to your GP or hospital clinic for exemption certificate - still not sure whether Tamoxifen will qualify - after all, they do say that DCIS is “pre-cancer” !!!

Just looked at the BBC website, which reports:

“Gordon Brown announced in September he was abolishing charges for the treatment of cancer and its effects from 1 April. Patients can apply for five-year exemption certificates entitling them to all their NHS prescriptions free of charge, not just those for cancer. Application forms can be collected from GP surgeries and hospital clinics. Applications received by 24 March will be processed in time for the start of the scheme on 1 April. Patients who do not receive their certificate in time may have any prescription charges they have paid since 1 April refunded.”

So . . . it’s off to our GP surgeries or hospitals to get the forms, fill them in and submit them in time for the 1st of April.

Marilyn x

Thanks Marilyn going to GP Thursday will ask for mine.

Hello,

Just to let you know that Breast Cancer Care has been campaigning for free prescriptions for people affected by cancer since 2006. We are delighted with the details that have emerged today for people with cancer in England.

The information that we have is:

* Exemption certificates cover all prescriptions, not just those for cancer treatments
* Certificates last for 5 years. They can be renewed after this time if you are still undergoing treatment for:
Cancer (includes tamoxifen or other hormonal treatments and prescription of lymphoedema garments)
The effects of cancer (includes pain relief and effects directly related to cancer that did not exist before the cancer diagnosis such as a change in mental health)
o The effects of cancer treatment (includes all side effects of chemotherapy or late effects caused by radiation)

Refunds and applying for certificates:
• The certificates will not be valid until 1 April 2009. However you can apply for certificates from 9th Feb. It has been reported that the health Minister, Dawn Primarolo is urging patients to go to their GPs from this week to get the form signed. We would encourage everyone to visit their GPs to get hold of the form.
• After 1 April, if you are still waiting for your exemption certificate, you should ask the dispenser for an NHS receipt (FP57) (which is also a refund claim form) when you pay a prescription charge – refunds will then be backdated to the 1 April 2009.
• People who are aged 60 and over are exempt from NHS prescription charges on age grounds and do not need to apply for the certificate.
• People who are exempt because they are receiving a relevant benefit e.g. income support, may wish to apply for a medical exemption certificate so they are covered if their financial circumstances change.

This information for England will be updated on the web pages shortly. More information about Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland is here: www.breastcancercare.org.uk/prescriptions but in short,

WALES – they are still free
NORTHERN IRELAND – reduced to £3 per item. They will be completely abolished by 2010.
SCOTLAND – reduced to £5 per item. They will go down to £4 per item from 1 April 2009 and will be reduced until phased out in April 2011.

You can also call our helpline for more information – 0808 800 6000

Best wishes,

Laura, Policy and Campaigns team.

Well done BCC and all others who campaigned for this! And thanks for the info above!

Please don’t jump down my throat about this as I know I am being cheeky but I have had WLE and rads for DCIS but am not receiving any other treatment beyond check ups with the Oncologist. I am currently a jobseeker but I don’t qualify for free prescriptions as I receive conrtribution-based JSA rather than income-based JSA and my OH works full time. Would having DCIS qualify me to get free prescriptions or am I classed as cured now surgery has removed it?

Because I am ER postive I have been told I must not take HRT so I was prescribed another medication to alleviate my symptoms but £7.10 is a lot to pay out when I only receive £62 ish per week.

Hi Suzanne – please do get the application form to see if you’ll be elligible – I haven’t seen the form yet, but I’m sure the BCC helpline will have appropriate advice for you once they’ve had a look at it.
M x

I was dx in jan 04 WLE, chemo, rad’s and am still on Tamoxifen…am I entitled to claim for free prescription charges or does it have to be just newly diagnosed [in regard to the 5 year exemption cert]…I also have taken since dx diazepam, citalopram an sleeping tablets?

Hi,

We’d advise you to speak to your GP. However, our understanding is that if you are still being prescribed treatments or drugs associated with your cancer diagnosis (including Tamoxifen) you will be entitled to receive free prescriptions - no matter how long ago your diagnosis was.

If you have any questions, please do call our helpline on 0808 800 6000 or there’s now more information on the web www.breastcancercare.org.uk/prescriptions

Best wishes,

Laura (Policy and Campaigns team)

Asked for a form while I was at my GP surgery today. The receptionist knew nothing about the scheme and had to go and ask the practice manager. Result was they haven’t received the forms yet and don’t know when they will, so suggested I pop in each time I’m passing. I’m fortunate enough to be able to ‘pop in’ regularly but for many it’s not so easy. It’s not the surgery’s fault, but would have been nice if the government could have ensured the forms were available when the announcement was made!

C x

When I phoned, my srugery told me that I should ask for the normal Medical Exemption form. Apparently there are two, one for medical and the other for expecting mothers.
You surgery should have it.
I phoned NHS direct the day after the press announced it. They were told anout it by a caller, and had to do a lot of research in a very short period of time. Seems that the government does not really want patients to apply.

Sophie

I also asked at the doctors for the form,they didnt have one either they said they have not arrived yet and she said come back in april???

Thanks to the Campaigns team. I currently live in Wales where prescriptions are free but am preparing to move back into England so this is great news.