Fundraising Events like Moonwalk

Fundraising Events like Moonwalk

Fundraising Events like Moonwalk Am I being petty here? I feel that these events, some of which are very difficult to secure a place, should in the first instance be open to entries from BC/ex BC patients, and then only to the general public if places are left unfilled. I know the reason for fundraising is just that, to raise funds, but it means much more to people who have suffered BC. I was lucky enough to get a place last year, along with workmates who suddenly became interested when they found out I was entering. They had no interest in the reason for being there, as far as they were concerned, they just raised their minimum and went along to get a medal and say they had done a marathon. Now as the time is coming up for entry again, a few more are jumping on the bandwagon. What do others think - should these events be ‘ours’?

Not petty No Ginny I don’t think you are being petty at all.

I am very ambivalent about these kind of fundraising events and I rather like your suggestion that intially they should be open to those who have had breast cancer (or whatever.) I think so many of these fundarising events can become patronising…and I get the sense of being ‘do gooded’ to. I always dislike events like Red Nose Day which can portray diadvantaged people and disabled people as poor things ot be pited. And so it is with events to raise money for cancer…we can so easily become objects of pity and fear or turned into brave heroines…when we are simply women living best we can with a nasty life threatening disease.

On the other hand events like the Moonwalk can be truly moving and an opportunity for those whose loved ones have died to mourn and celebrate lost lives. I did the Race for Life last year and did get an emotional high (as well as raising about £1000 which my friends probably wouldn’t have otherwise have donated) doing it in memory of two friends who had died. My partner ran and I fast walked and it was a special celebration for us too of my survival this far.

I think you are right to question because there is a very tacky end to fundraising.

best wishes

Jane

How much protection does the DDA actually give us ? Hello to you all

I know that people with cancer are now covered by the Disability Discrimination Act (not that it was ever a particularly powerful tool to fight disability discrimination…but I’ll let that pass for now !).

My question is - at what point are we considered no longer to ‘have’ cancer, for the Act’s purposes ? For example, I have now finished all my treatment (other than tamoxifen) for a primary breast cancer - so I wonder whether I am still protected by the Act. On the other hand, if you are covered until you have been told that you have the ‘all-clear’ then obviously anyone with bc will be covered for ever !! Someone this morning on the radio mentioned that the Act covers people who are being treated for cancer - which is what stimulated what’s left of my brain into pondering this.

Anyone know the answer to this ?

Thanks

Kate

PS… jpoet would have answered this…sorrow.

in the wrong place. Sorry Ginny and Jane - I meant to put my post on a new thread !!!

I did the moonwalk… I did the moonwalk in 2005, motivated by a friend who had family history and didn’t want to do it alone. I had undetected breast cancer at the time. I did race for life 2006 a week before a mammogram which revealed a problem. Statistically some of the fundraisers will go on to develop cancer. I did.
Barbara x

Events for BCer’s there is an organisation being established in the UK (part of a network with similar organisations in the US and Oz) that organises events just for BC’ers - the events are some form of challenge (such as hiking in New Zealand, helping build a home in India, riding a motorbike for 1,000 miles) to provide a life affirming experience - the events also fundraise so you give back something too… the sence of acheivement and the peer support obtained is unlike any other group!

see www.amazonheart.org