Gap between mastectomy and chemo?

Hi, my sister’s 65 and has recently had a mastectomy and removal of 12 lymph nodes. They found three tumours adding up to about 3cm, and also found cells around the nodes. It’s HER - . It looks like she will have a nine week gap between her surgery and the start of chemo and I’m worried this is such a long time. Is that normal or should I try and help her speed things up? She’s already at the 7 week mark.

Thank you,

Eleanor

Dear ellie38

Welcome to the forum.  As well as the support to be found on here you might also find it helpful to give our Helpline a call.  They will be able to offer practical information and emotional support.  They are open today from 10-2 and on weekdays from 9-5.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi Eleanor,

I had my mastectomy and SNLB on 12th December 2012, and my chemo began on 5th February 2013. Hope this helps clarify things. May I suggest that when she starts chemo, that you or she join one of the monthly chemotherapy threads so you can compare experiences with others having their chemo at the same time.

poemsgalore xx

Thank you for sharing your dates poems- and for the advice about joining another thread. I think she’d find that really useful :slight_smile:

Janet- thanks for those numbers, I think it would be really helpful to talk to someone.

Thank you xx

Hi Ellie,im her2 pos also,had 3tumours,the biggest one being 5cm.The cancer was through out my breast tissue and in 13nodes. My chemo started exactly 8weeks after mastectomy. I think this is quite a common and normal time scale although like you i kept thinking its such a long time to wait. they do like to allow recovery time etc from the op and concidering the cancer has been removed this is quite a safe time scale to wait for chemo. But there is no harm in discussing this with your sisters oncologist if it worries you or her breast care nurses…All the Best to your sister and you .

Hi Ellie,im her2 pos also,had 3tumours,the biggest one being 5cm.The cancer was through out my breast tissue and in 13nodes. My chemo started exactly 8weeks after mastectomy. I think this is quite a common and normal time scale although like you i kept thinking its such a long time to wait. they do like to allow recovery time etc from the op and concidering the cancer has been removed this is quite a safe time scale to wait for chemo. But there is no harm in discussing this with your sisters oncologist if it worries you or her breast care nurses…All the Best to your sister and you .