genetic screening-any advice please?

I could really do with some advice. My mum first had breast cancer at 49, she had a mastectomy. Eight years later she got it again in her other breast. This time we weren’t so lucky and we lost her before her 60th birthday. Last January I found a lump.(inevitable in my mind!) Thankfully it was benign.

I have been told I cannot have genetic testing for breast cancer as I have no other blood female relatives for comparison, my mum wasn’t that young when first diagnosed and there is no other family history of breast cancer. I will be going for my first yearly mammogram in January, but I feel like I am living with a time bomb. Is there nothing else I can do?

Has anyone else been through something similar? Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Kat and welcome to the BCC forums
Along with support you will find here our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000 and lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturday 10-2 (today 9-2 and closed tomorrow, normal hours resume 2.1.14)

You may find the following link to the BCC family history information helpful in the meantime:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/breast-awareness/noticed-any-changes/breast-cancer-families

Take care
Lucy BCC