Genetic testing

Hya all,
Hope every one is keeping well, have had an appointment to go and see a genetic
doctor, have to go on Feb 3rd, with a strong family history of cancer in my family and my twin sister having bc they think its best if i have a test, also because i have three teenage daughters, could please someone tell me what the process normally is, i have posted before about my problems but was under the name of saraden, any info would be much appreciated.
xxxxxxx
sara

Hi Sara,

Your first visit is to assess your risk. The doctor will draw up your family tree to see which members had or have certain types of cancer, ie breast, ovarian, prostate, pancreatic. If your risk is assessed as high you will be offered testing. This is a simple blood test. The doctor will discuss the implications of testing positive for a BRCA mutation and options open to you, eg preventative surgery and screening.

Good luck with your visit

Hi sara

You might find it useful to have a look at the BCC booklet ’ Breast Cancer in Families’. It can be found by following the link below:-

breastcancercare.org.uk//docs/bc_in_families__final_12_june_08_layout_1_0.pdf

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Hi Sara,
My sister went to a genetic consultant originally as we have strong family history and I was diagnosed at 34(she was 36 at the time). They told her that they needed to test the person WITH cancer and then if a faulty gene was discovered, they could test her against that (does that make sense?)
Anyway, I then had to go (as the person with cancer) and they just took a blood test and 8 months later we got the results.
They counsel you first to ensure you understand what the results could mean etc- for me personally, it wasnt an issue as to whether I had the gene or not cos i already HAD cancer- the knowledge was only important to me for the sake of the rest of the females in my family and my daughter
Hope this helps
Katy
ps- meant to say, the genetecist was lovely- very supportive and continues to keep in touch and update me.

Hya,
thank you every one for your comments, Katy my twin sister is coming to the appointment with me so we will have to take it from there, our family is a little bit more complicated as i have an elder sister that has a faulty gene already, she has had numerous tumours removed but luckily non of them have been cancerouse{sp}, they are still trying to find the faulty gene that is causing this, and also that my mom had lymphatic cancer and a brain tumour so i think they are being very cautious,
Thanks for your replies, will keep you posted.
Sara xxxx

Hi sara,
I found out last year that ive got the BRCA2 gene of my father as he carries the gene but has never shown or had cancer he is now 65 unfortunatly i got breast cancer at 32. After testing me first with a blood test, i waited 3 months for results but they then tested my dad and my sister at the same time and because they knew what fault they were looking for they got results in 8 weeks and thankfully my sister hadn’t got the gene. So its not always passed on in the same family.

Good Luck
love Leslee x

Hi
I too discovered I had BRCA2 last year from dad’s side of the family although cancer has not shown up previously in any generation but mine. We did everything backwards, as I discovered I had the gene first we then had to find out where it came from, so mum and dad were both tested. The wider family are now in the process of testing, with one aunt and cousin being positive so far but they each have a sister who is negative which is good news.
Take care.
Annierose

Thanks for all your comments,
I had to cancell my appointment due to the bad weather, i have to go in march now< have also had an appointment to go and see a breast clinic at the hospital where my twin is being treated, i go on Tuesday so will let you know the outcome.
Many thanks
Sara

HYA ALL, HOPE YOU ARE KEEPING WELL,
WENT TO BC CLINIC YESTERDAY, HAD THE USUAL MAMMOGRAM AND SCAN, THEY HAVE ADVISED FOR ME TO GO BACK IN THREE WEEKS TIME TO SPEAK TO SURGEON DUE TO HAVING BAD NIPPLE DISCHARGE AND DIALATED DUCTS THEY THINK ITS BEST IF I HACE THE DUCTS REMOVED BECAUSE THATS WHERE MY SISTERS STARTED, THEY SAID SOMETHING TO DO WITH HAVING A PAPILLOMA (SP)WELL BACK TO WORK NOW.
HUGS
SARA