getting back into sports

i’m a very enthustiastic tennis player, swimmer and walker, coming up to 4 weeks post op. and looking forward to getting back on court and into pool again; the walking has never stopped and the arm/shoulder exercises are going well. I’ve been looking for guidance in case there’s anything else i can do to rehab. my body specifically in relation to my sports but the advice seems to be i can do what my body feels like doing. Is it as straightforward as this? thanks

Hello Mythbirtthedragon

Whilst waiting for replies from other users maybe you would like to have a look at our Moving Forward program, I have attached a link below

breastcancercare.org.uk/moving-forward

You may also like to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hello,
I don’t know about tennis, but I assume you will have to be very careful with your arm if you have had your lymph nodes removed and it is the arm you play tennis with.

As for swimming - yes just get back in the pool (as long your wounds have healed) and take it easy, build it up slowly. If you are having chemo you will be advised to avoid the pool through that to avoid infection. If you are having rads you will need to keep an eye on your skin - don’t swim once your skin gets sore.