Going back for my biopsy results on Tuesday

Hello everyone

I’ve never used a forum like this before but I’ve been trying to maintain a brave face in front of my family over Christmas whilst being sick with worry…

I’m 36 years old with no family history of breast cancer, at the beginning of October I found a lump in my breast and went to the Doctor, he asked me to go through a menstrual cycle and come back in a month’s time, I went back with the lump unchanged and was referred to a Consultant. I am lucky enough to have private medical insurance and saw the Consultant within 4 days, he was completely lassies-faire about the lump and said that he was not concerned at all by it but arranged an ultrasound to be absolutely sure. He almost made me feel like I was wasting his time.

3 weeks later I had the ultrasound and the radiologist had a completely different take on the situation, he said I definitely had a lump and he immediately arranged a mammogram and biopsy… that was scary as hell as I was expecting him to be as relaxed as my Consultant. 3 days later I had the biopsy and saw the Consultant again who then told me that there is a lump and it is suspicious but until the biopsy comes back “we don’t know what we’re dealing with”, I asked him about an upcoming trip to New York in January and he suggested that I cancel it but wouldn’t really tell me much more as he wanted to see the biopsy results which are due back on Tuesday.

I’m not really sure what I’m looking for from the forum, just some help in how people who have been through similar experiences have dealt with the waiting… thanks in advance…  x

Bliss1978

Firstly welcome to the forums.  I’m sorry to read you’re having a worrying time at the moment.  Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with support and experiences you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the BCC helpline.  Here you can share your thoughts and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  Lines are open again tomorrow from 9 to 5pm and the number to call is 0808 800 6000. 

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Hi if it makes you feel any better this is my first post/reply and I am also waiting for results having undergone a biopsy and they are due on Tuesday! Not sure how to take your mind off it save for we are nearly there only one more day to go!  I, being an optimist, am still expecting a nice response ie. benign but we will wait and see - to tell you the truth I am completely fed up with the am arent I scenario and I just want to know now xxxx