Hadfield's Procedure/Major Duct Excision - Pain

I’ve recently had a left Hadfield’s procedure and subsequently had a diagnosis of Duct Ectasia. (So no cancer thank God.)

I remember my consultant warning me about the side effects of the operation and noted most but forgot what he said about pain. I recall that I could have shooting pains for months, possibly a year after the operation. However, I can’t remember what he said about how long the non-shooting aches and pains might last.

It has been 2 weeks since the surgery and I still find letting my breast flop from side to side (e,g, in bed) or bending forward causes some aching. Also,the scar and the nipple are very sensitive and sting if touched/knocked or brushed even gently with cloths.

How, long (worst case) might the aches and pains (other than shooting pains) last?

Hi

Welcome to the forums, I’m sure someone will be along to support you soon.
In the meantime you may find it useful to contact our free helpline on 0808 800 6000, opening hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 – 2.00.
I have also attached a link to our free publication on Duct Ectasia.
breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.30/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/64

best wishes
June, moderator

hi i had a hadfields on monday and worried bout the results i go back to clinic on the 18th please advise if i am worrying unduly thankyou