Hadfield's Procedure

Hi,

I am curious to find out if anyone has had the same experience as me. I had the procedure on 23-7-14 and all went well iwas sent home the same day with instuctions to leave my dressing on for 10 days, I had an allergic reaction to the dressing and on the tenth day I ended up in a&e with blisters all round my breast which was twice the size and bright red. I was kept in and had a second operation the next day to remove an abscess.  The care i was given after this op was not good I was kept in with drips and a drain for a few days but unless i made a fuss no pain killers or checks were made. I was left with an open wound which i had to have packed and dressed every other day and given no advice or place which i could have this done.  I had to travel miles with no bra to find someone to do this. Today i am free of dressings but still very scabby I have no idea what happens next and hate the way I look. Can anyone please help me with the next step to take or just some advice.

Hi Sonia72

Welcome to the forum.  I’m sorry you haven’t had any replies to your post yet.  I’ve just checked the “Benign breast conditions” section and there are a few threads on there about this procedure which may be helpful.  I’ve attached a link to the section:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Benign-breast-conditions/bd-p/4430

You might also find it helpful to phone our Helpline for information and support.  They’ll be open again tomorrow (9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays).  The number is 0808 800 6000.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi Sonia72

I had this procedure done in 2009 and unlike you I did not have any of the complications you have had. I am so sorry that you have gad such a difficult and painful time. I was aware that I have an allergy to plasters and so I always make sure if I go into hospital that they are aware of my allergy. After the procedure when I was discharged I was told who to contact if I had problems and saw my consultant for the pathology results 10 days after surgery. If I were you I would contact the consultants secretary and request a follow up appointment to see the consltant to discuss what happens next.