Hair and Taxotere

Hair and Taxotere

Hair and Taxotere Hi everyone, as alot of you know i havent had hair growth since my chemo finished 6 months ago.
As its now 6 months i am resigned to the fact that thats it. Does anyone know if the ‘medical world’ will have this in thier records. I ask this because they have told me they have never known it happen EVER before so i assume it was the Taxatere that did it. Will they put it in the ‘possible side effectes?’ or maybe not enough women in the world have had this drug for the odds to happen again yet. Maybe when another couple fo thousand women have it one more woman will be forever bald?
I am gratefull to be ‘cancer free’ as far as i know, i know that deep down my hair isnt important but what i struglle with is everytime i glance in the mirror i still see the 'cancer/chemo face ’ looking back at me.
I am in France so dont have a breast nurse to speak to but maybe all you ladies that are having or going to have taxotere could speak to someone on my behalf and mention this woman in France that hair hasnt grown back.
I didnt get a wig as i can spot them a mile off and chose to wear scarves and hats. I will now have to look into were i can get a real hair wig i suppose. Does anyone know the prices they charge in the UK for them - just a rough idea.
Thanks
bald pineapple

Hair loss/wig costs Hi Pineapple,
I was given a voucher from my breast care centre for £125, after my surgeries and before chemo. It was only redeemable at a certain hairdresser/wig shop. They saw me in a private room, and I tried on quite a few wigs before we found one that suited me. It had to be ordered (took about 10 days) and then I went back to have it fitted and cut. They had to make the base smaller as it was falling over my ears. It was very good - even my husband said it looked better than my real hair. Fortunately, I had the cold cap and didn’t lose my hair, it just thinned so never used it. I don’t know exactly how much it cost, but the voucher covered it.
Liz.

Real hair wigs can cost around £350 upwards depending on style/length. You also get monofilament articficial wigs which are quite effective as it looks as though hair is growing from the scalp. Real hair wigs must be styled as normal hair - they don’t hold a style. You also need to do a search and go for LOTs of try-ons. There are some artifical ones, that, as you say, you can see a mile off, but there is a vast range: A bit like looking for a jumper - you get the low end budget, and you get the cashmere. This is also true of real hair though - have a good look round.

If your predicament really is permanent and you have around 10% of your own hair coverage left, there is a new, albeit quite pricey technique (£1000??): This is a crumby description, but essentially you can have a fine ‘mesh’ woven in with your existing hair into which hair is then woven and styled to suit you. This means you can carry on life as if its your own hair, swimming, sports, showering, etc. It needs to have a ‘touch up’ or ‘re-vamp’ about once a year/18 months or so i think. I have a website address, so i’ll look it up and post here later today/tomorrow.

Web site Have found the web address at last::

www.lucindaellery.com

BUYING ON E BAY HI, i LOST MY HAIR ON TAXOL AND WORE A REAL HAIR WIG WHICH LOOKED VERY NATURAL.I BOUGHT IT ON E BAY FOR ABOUT 60 POUNDS AND IT WAS SENT OVER FROM THE U.S. IN NO TIME AT ALL.IT WAS SO NICE THAT I NEVER BOTHERED WITH MY N.H.S.ONE.I EVEN HAD COMPLIMENTS ON HOW LUCKY I WAS TO HAVE SUCH NICE HAIR.

Hi Pineapple Dont want to raise your hopes too much, but the hair under my arms has only just begun to grow back after 4+ years after my taxotere treatment.(my head hair came back after a couple I seem remember -so ??
maybe.

God Bless

Jan

Hair and Taxotere Hi Pineapple

Just wanted to let you know you’re not alone.
I had 4x FEC and 4x Taxotere back in summer of 2004. Found the FEC ok, but really reacted badly to the Taxotere. 2 years on and I only have very fine hair regrowth and no eyebrows at all. Again, my medical team are baffled and have never seen this before either! From the start I was very open about my hair loss/baldness, but I know exactly how you feel everytime you look in a mirror. A few months back I decided to invest in a couple of wigs. Both are synthetic and different from each other and my ‘old’ hair style. I’m really pleased with them and although I tend to save them for ‘special’ occasions, it’s good to have another option! The most expensive was around £175 and you don’t have to pay VAT if it’s for medical reasons.
I too suspect this is something to do with Taxotere, but there’s a real lack of information out there. If I hear anything I’ll let you know.
Take care
Littlelegs