Hair loss after chemo finishes

I’ve been here for the past six months or so and have always found it the nicest, kindest, most supportive group ever. Please @aussiedan don’t stop posting, your chemo experience could easily be supporting and helping another member, you are needed. Have no knowledge of cold capping, I was one of the fortunate ones who didn’t need chemo, but everyone must do whatever it takes to get them through. Stay with us, you are needed.

A peaceful day to you all, love and hugs xxxxx

2 Likes

Thanks for your support and encouragement. I need positive vibes as I go in for surgery tomorrow xx

3 Likes

Perhaps having breast cancer gives people the freedom to take offence at anything. A pity, but there you are. But in the interests of accuracy, let’s be clear that I did NOT say any person, especially on this forum, was moth eaten. This phrase was used by a wonderful eighty-something lady I met in chemo who described her appearance after cold cap. Give me her down to earth black humour any day than the pseudo-offended brigade. My experience of several years cancer treatment is that humour is a more efficacious medicine than saccarhine sympathy and pretence.

Hi everyone,

While we encourage discussions between forum users and are aware that there will be differing opinions and views, we please ask that you remain respectful. The forum is a safe space for everyone and we want it to feel like somewhere anyone can come to with their questions, thoughts and feelings. So please be considerate of each other and how your words may impact other users of the forum.

Also I thought it may be useful to point out that the Ask our nurses your questions board is meant for people who wish to ask our nursing team a question. All the other boards in the forum are available for peer-to-peer support.

3 Likes

Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

1 Like

Hi Kevin, thanks for your message. I would still be keen to hear what the nurse thinks about my continued hair loss. A couple of other users have said they are experiencing the same which is reassuring but would welcome the nurses thoughts too.

1 Like

Hope your surgery goes well @aussiedan. I had surgery last week so if there’s any questions at all regarding this too, please let me know x

Hi aussiedan

Thank you for posting.

As @ivy-cat says the chemotherapy drugs will stay in your body for some time after your last treatment. This is the reason why some will continue to experience hair loss. We appreciate it is reassuring for you to hear others having experienced something similar.

Most people who have hair loss from chemotherapy treatment notice their hair starts to grow back after treatment is completed. Sometimes this can take some time. The rate of growth will vary from person to person and body hair can grow back faster or slower than the hair on your head.

Hair loss can be one of the most distressing side effects of chemotherapy. Experiencing hair loss can be devastating.

There are number of organisations, such as Cancer Hair Care, my new hair and Look Good Feel Better who offer specific support to women experiencing hair loss from cancer treatment. Your breast care nurse or treatment team may also be able to signpost you to local hair loss services in your area.

Having scalp cooling is a personal choice and how well the cold cap works varies from person to person.

Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can often be helpful. Our Someone Like Me service can match you with a trained volunteer who’s had a similar experience to you. You can be in touch with your volunteer by phone or email and they can share their personal experiences to answer your questions, offer support or simply listen to how you are feeling.

You can ring the Someone Like Me team on 0114 263 6490 or email them at someone.likeme@breastcancernow.org, so they can then match you to your volunteer.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

We will be closed for the bank holiday on Monday 26 August 2024.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Grete

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.