Hardening of breast and pain - is it back again?

I was diagnosed with a rare breast cancer (adenoid cystic carcinoma) in June 2012.  I had a lumpectomy and six weeks of radiotherapy.  All was fine until about 7 mths ago when I started getting stabbing pains again (this was one of my previous symptoms) and my breast started feeling hard.  I went for my checkup after mammogram and told the dr about this - he said he could feel the hardening but that nothing had shown up on my mammogram so it will be fine.  I have since been to my gp as the pain and hardening is getting worse.  GP referred me back to breast clinic and I have an appointment on Tuesday.  Has anyone got any advice for me or suffered with this themselves. I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks, Heather x

Hello Heather5

You could give our our free helpline a call in the morning on 0808 800 6000, opening hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 – 2.00. 

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Heather5,

I have never been diagnosed with breast cancer (but diagnosed with thyroid cancer 4 yrs ago), however on the 11th Dec, i had a hadfields operation which is the removal of milk ducts, this was due to a similar problem you are having. I had a breast infection, burning pain in my breast, skin dimpling, inverted nipple and then spontaneous nipple discharge, which under the microscope showed red blood cells which made them suspicious, hence the operation.On 23rd Dec, they diagnosed me with duct ectasia and am on a watch and wait for 3 months. I was happy with the diagnosis until yesterday i started with the pain again, thats what has brought me back to this site.

After my operation, i saw my GP and he said if i get any symptoms or problems afterwards, then to go back. He also did mention if i was unhappy, i am entitled to a 2nd opinion. I don’t want to do that just yet but i have to keep a diary of breast changes and discharge from my left breast. So thats what i’m doing. Why don’t you jot down when and how often you get the pain and discuss maybe a 2nd opinion, especially if you are starting to have doubts xx