Has anyone had a silicon gel implant?

I had an mx 4 weeks ago with a silicon implant recon. Initially I was very happy with it as it seemed to match my real breast really well. But in the last 2 weeks it has changed for the worse. It periodically clamps down on my chest like a hard vice, it has moved up so is no longer in line with my real breast and seems higher up my chest, it’s rock hard but not hot and has sunk on one side where the staples were. I hate having to massage it as it looks like a lumpy unpeeled spud!

My bcn said there could be inflammation so to take anti-inflammatories for 5 days which I have done but it still is the same. She further told me to continue taking the anti-inflammatories for another week as I’m due to see my surgeon then. I’ve decided not to do this as I hate taking tablets unless it’s absolutely necessary and I feel I can put up with discomfort rather than pain.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who’s had this experience with their implant or from anyone who has had a silicon implant. So many other people seem to have
implants with ports to be filled at a later date and I would dearly like to know if what I am experiencing is normal for silicon gel implants.

Annys x

Yes I have a small silicon implant … my op was in October 09… Yes is does go rock hard and once swelling from op has gone it sinks slightly… my breast has just started to soften … I had a LP flap… they take the muscle from your back and encase the implant using a small piece of skin to cover where the nippla was… the muscle it like having a peck because it constantly twiches and moves… i showed my hubby and he laughs because my natural breast just sits there not having any fun …

if i were you tell your plastic surgeon they have to make it look like you want or at least match the other one … and yes your new breast does sit higher up on your chest… i am seriously thinking on request my other breast be tweeked a bit …

sarah

Hi Sarah

Thanks for replying, great to hear from you. The surgeon kept my original skin from the affected breast and put the implant in and covered it with the skin. It’s actually quite weird as when I’m putting the aqueous cream on there are no goose pimples on that part of my body but there is further up my chest! I’ve had no flaps taken from any part of my body so I presume the original muscle is still there.

As for telling my surgeon, he’s not one to take criticism lightly, and he was so so admiring of his handiwork a few weeks ago. I’ve always been one to put up with bad service, poor workmanship or shoddy goods in the past because I hate confrontation so it will be hard for me to express myself. But I guess I’ll have to do it or be rather unhappy with myself for the rest of my life.

I find it very difficult to turn and twist to the back part of my body on the affected side, the feeling is so uncomfortable. Even putting a cup down on my bedside table using my affected side is a ordeal. Does this go on for long? I wasn’t given a choice of implants. Were you? If the riding up of the implant happens often why do they use these type of implants?

Take care.

Annys xx

PS Just realised you were kind enough to pm me a few weeks ago. I only discovered it yesterday when I happened to go into my profile for the first time since I joined the forums. I returned one pm but wasn’t sure it had gone through as my computer didn’t signal that it had been sent, like it does with an email. I’m still waiting to see if it has gone through by that person replying but as she hasn’t maybe it didn’t go. I’m having problems with submitting posts anyway, this is the second time I’ve written this. How do I pm other people and send them successfully?

Hi Sarah

Thanks for replying, great to hear from you. The surgeon kept my original skin from the affected breast and put the implant in and covered it with the skin. It’s actually quite weird as when I’m putting the aqueous cream on there are no goose pimples on that part of my body but there is further up my chest! I’ve had no flaps taken from any part of my body so I presume the original muscle is still there.

As for telling my surgeon, he’s not one to take criticism lightly, and he was so so admiring of his handiwork a few weeks ago. I’ve always been one to put up with bad service, poor workmanship or shoddy goods in the past because I hate confrontation so it will be hard for me to express myself. But I guess I’ll have to do it or be rather unhappy with myself for the rest of my life.

I find it very difficult to turn and twist to the back part of my body on the affected side, the feeling is so uncomfortable. Even putting a cup down on my bedside table using my affected side is a ordeal. Does this go on for long? I wasn’t given a choice of implants. Were you? If the riding up of the implant happens often why do they use these type of implants?

Take care.

Annys xx

PS Just realised you were kind enough to pm me a few weeks ago. I only discovered it yesterday when I happened to go into my profile for the first time since I joined the forums. I returned one pm but wasn’t sure it had gone through as my computer didn’t signal that it had been sent, like it does with an email. I’m still waiting to see if it has gone through by that person replying but as she hasn’t maybe it didn’t go. I’m having problems with submitting posts anyway, this is the second time I’ve written this. How do I pm other people and send them successfully?

Hi,

I had a bilateral LD flap recon with saline/silicone expander implants in 4 months ago. I haven’t had any problems with the implants, although I still think they look a little round and high but as time goes on they seem to be dropping into a more natural shape.

However the consultant has offered me the option of having them changed for silicone ones. I have read that these are softer and more natural. Therefore I would also be interested to hear the experiences of any ladies who have had silicone implants (especially if they are able to compare them with the expander ones).

I really don’t want more surgery but after all I have been through I want to look and feel as good as possible.

Anna

hi,i have got a silicone implant,i have had it changed twice.it kept hardening and is high up.but the doctor said cause i have had radiotherepy it will always go hard cause of the damaged skin.its gone hard again and very uncomfortable but he wont do it again as i have secondary breast cancer now.just have to grin and bear it i suppose.

Hi Janet Sorry to hear of the hard times you’ve had with your implants. Did you have your radiotherapy after the implant was fitted? I was told I didn’t need rads because I had had the mx. Did your implants alwasy feel hard?
Take care
Annys x

hi annys,i had radiotherapy before my implant,it felt soft at first but soon went hard.

Thanks for that Janet. I’m finding it difficult to do my exercises at the moment because of the implant. I wish my appt with surgeon was today and not next week. Annys x

hi annys,hope your appt goes well.im there on the 4th as had to have an mri.not expecting good results though.hope i dont have to have chemo again,had it 3 times since 2001.but have to look on the bright side,im still here.x

Good luck with your coming results Janet. Our appts are on the same day! You seem pessimistic about your results so it makes me feel guilty about my minor worries, which after all are purely cosmetic. Thanks for taking the time to answer my concerns when you seem to have so much on your mind. Hopefully, your results won’t be as bas as you are imagining. I’ll be thinking of you.
Annys x