Has anyone had Lipo grafting?

Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing okay.

After having 2 lumpectomys and radiotherapy, I had to have some reconstruction treatment to rebuild my left breast. I had a perforated flap operation but because I had so much scar tissue which had to be removed my breast is still much smaller than my right breast. So I’ve been told I will now need about 4 lipo grafting operations to fill the remainder of the breast and increase it by at least one bra size.

I have just received a date for my first op which is 12th September and was wondering if any of you have had it done and how did you find it. All I know is the surgeon will use the fat just under my boobs, there’s a bit of a bulge there, then inject it into my boob. Has anyone had this done? How sore is it afterwards because I need to go to a hospital an hours drive away? Will I be okay travelling home with the seatbelt on? Do I need any special supportive underwear?

Sorry I have so many questions and although I’ve read about it, it’s mostly been for people that have only needed slight adjustments and not a full cup size.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Sue x

1 Like

Hi Sue
I’m having this procedure on 2 November for similar issues so hoping you get some replies to your post.

Hope it all goes well for you. Rosy x

Hi Rosy, thank you for replying. I will let you know how it goes. I’ve not been told much, such as what supportive underwear I need etc so I’m hoping others can help with that.

Best of luck for your operation, I hope it goes well for you and you don’t suffer much afterwards, after all I’m sure you have already been through enough

Best wishes. Sue x

Hello Sue,

Thanks for posting. It’s understandable to have many questions about the lipografting procedures you need.

To connect with other women, you may want to post on this section of our forums. You may also be interested in our Someone Like Me service.

Lipomodelling is sometimes called fat transfer or fat grafting. It involves taking fat from another part of your body and injecting it into the breasts. It usually involves fat from the abdomen, hips or inner thigh. Sometimes more than one procedure is necessary as you say you need. You can read more about this on page 31 of our reconstruction booklet.

You also explain the surgeon is using fat from under your boobs. We are not sure exactly what area you mean. It would be a good idea to contact your breast care nurse as they exactly what you will be having and where.

There’s likely to be some bruising and soreness after. The extent of this will vary from person to person but your treatment team will give you information about managing this and may prescribe something for pain. Our information about bras after surgery might be helpful. Again, your breast care nurse will let you know if they recommend something specific.

We imagine you will be a passenger in the car and not driving yourself. Some women purchase a post-surgery seat-belt protector which is a cushioned, quilted protector for the chest and breast area. These are available from some of the suppliers you can access through the previous link as well as some online retailers.

Details of all our services are here. You may also find further support and reconstruction information at the charities Keeping Abreast and Restore

Hopefully this information is helpful for @HappyVibes (Rosy) as well.

You are both welcome to call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.