Heart failure due to herceptin

Hi,
I am new to this forum and would like (hopefully) some re-assurance. I had breast cancer and have undergone surgery, chemo and radiotherapy. I had just 4 sessions of herceptin when a MUGA scan revealed that i had gone into heart failure!!! My scan showed a drop in left ventricular function down to 26%. The herceptin has been stopped (over 2 months ago)but i still get breathless and i am unable to return to work (I have been off sick for 14 months now and getting very fed up!).
My oncologist has now just mentioned that as the drop in function was so dramatic my heart may not completely recover. I haven’t got a cardiologist appointment for another 4 weeks and am starting to worry.
Has anyone else had these problems(or knows anyone) that this has happened to?
I have survived all the other stuff that goes with cancer treatment and now this seems to be the ‘straw that broke the camels back’.
It would be nice to get some re-assurance as i feel so helpless at the moment.
I hope someone will be able to help
JO X
I just

Hello jo1972

Welcome to the forums, this is a very worrying time for you but you have come to the right place for support from our experienced users who I’m sure will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional and practical support. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 to 2.00.

With best wishes
June, moderator

Hi Jo,

and welcome to the forums. Am not really able to help even though I have been on herceptin for 6 years now. My LVEF waves around a bit between 42-60 but as I have not had any other symptoms have been allowed to continue on herceptin. Have they done a further scan since stopping herceptin? I am surprised you are having to wait so long for a cardiologist appointment. Any chance of getting your oncologist or GP to try and bring it forward for you emphasising that you are still breathless? Maybe you could be put on some medication for your heart. I take an ACE inhibitor - was Ramipril but have since been changed to Losartan - as they will help protect your heart. What chemo were you on - I ask because some of those are very harsh and can put strain on the heart as well. Hope you get things sorted soon.

Dawn
xx

Hi Jo1972,
I can’t answer your questions unfortunately but just wanted to let you know you are not on your own. I have also had my herceptin treatment stopped after just 4 treatments because of heart failure. Not sure what mine is but was told it had gone down a lot more than they usually get. I am seeing a cardiologist on 4th Nov and have another scan booked for Thursday (21st Oct). I will let you know what they say. Good luck and take it easy for a while.