Hello, Another new recruit...

came on but no message! how are you?

I have posted this on behalf of new user, Hayley
Kind regards
Lucy

Hi All,
What a great web site this is. I have been reading all the supportive comments from everyone, it is really comforting to know that you are not alone…
The last 2 months have been a rollercoaster for me…I went to my doc with what I thought was a cist and asked her to check it, she agreed but suggested that I had a general check up and sent me to breast clinic. I had mamogramme (spelling? its all new to me) ultrasound and biopsy on a completely different lump I was not aware of! A week later I’m told I have DCIS and need lumpectomy and removal of bottom few lymph glands. OK, so into day surgery and all seemed to go well. Back to consultant 2 weeks later to be blown over with news that actually have full blown breast cancer and also in 4 nodes removed…only option = mastectomy and axillary clearance! So…had that done on 28th May and spent 4 days in hospital (fantastic care, thanks GWH Swindon) and home for recovery. Been back to see consultant today who has now referred me to the oncologist for 8 cycles of chemo followed by 6 weeks of radio therapy. The cancer is grade 3 and aggressive, and oestrogen driven so have also to have Zoladex and either tomoxofen or arimidex. Not sure how I’m feeling really, but thank god that my doctor referred me in the first place. Am glad that CT and bone scans are clear and I am just dealing with breast cancer (ironic, I know) but really worried about my husband and my children of 6 and 4… All seem to be coping but you never know really…
Hoping to make some new friends
Hayley

Hi Hayley

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to read that you are going through such a difficult time, I am sure your fellow forum members will be along shortly with valuable support and advice.

Breast Cancer Care have published a Resource Pack, it has been designed for anyone newly diagnosed with information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and various treatments, it is available via the following link or by contacting the helpline:

breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

We also have information publications and services specifically for younger women which you may find helpful, you can read more via this link:

breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=5256

You may find our helpline useful to call to talk through how you are feeling at the moment, they can talk to you about our other support services too and also offer support, information and a ‘listening ear’. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm, Saturday, 9am - 2pm. I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes
Lucy

Hi Hayley - in spite of your last 2 months you sound quite upbeat and ready for what this awful disease has thrown at you so good on you for that. Hope your chemo etc isn’t too bad - I have had 4 doses so far and have been very lucky as have I haven’t had any reallly bad side effects so I will keep my fingers crossed for you. You must be pretty young to have such small children whom I am sure will keep you going and wear you out in equal measures! I find that people around you react to your reactions so no doubt your husband is coping well because you seem to be. Lots of info and experiences on this site which as say keep us all going, don’t know what I would do with - out it now. Let us know how chemo is going - and note the earliness of this post - this is because I had my chemo yesterday and the steriod you get for the 3 days after tend to keep me awake!
XX

Good morning Hayley, welcome to our “club”. I like you went to the GP with what I htought was an innocent lump but a mammogram, ultrasound and 4 core biopsies later I was diagnosed with a grade 3 ductal invasive cancer. I have had to wait for a MRI scan but have had that now and see the consultant for my treatment plan. He initially thought chemo, surgery and then hormone and poss rads.
I like you have a small child (7) who we told a week that mummy had a lump in her boob and that I was having tests and needed strong medicine and an op. He occassionally asks questions in his own time which is good.
I also like you are trying to grab this beast by the horns and funnily enough cannot wait until my treatment starts because at least then I know I am truly starting the battle and can soldier on.
Hope you are well.
Lots of love Sharon2 xx

Hi Hayley, welcome to breast buddies. I too went to docs and was told cyst. I had mam, ultra sound and core biopsy, to be told it was cancer. Then op and yesterday found out it was gradr 3 cancer, but no lymph nodes affected. I too am waiting to see onc for treatment plan for chemo then rads. We are virtually holding hands here. Good luck with the chemo and keep us all posted.
Love and hugs
Bridie

Bmt56
have just replied to you on another thread. I was also told lump was a cyst! Maybe that’s the standard reply in the Bury/Bolton area which is slightly worrying!! I am not so far in front of you - will be having FEC no 2 on Weds.
LOL Nic xxxxx

Hi Haley! Welcome to the club that no-one wants to join! I too have almost exactly the same story as you. My first lot of biopsies came back clear then I went for a second lot ‘just to make sure’ and it came back that I had cancer. It honestly felt like the bottom fell out of my world! Anyway that was on the 9th May and since then I have my surgery - lumpectomy, reshape and reduction on good boob and full node clearance on the 31st May. I too got a ‘good’ result in that my nodes were clear but like you my tumur was grade 3. I am now recovering from surgery and have a treament plan of 8 lots of chemo followed by 5 weeks of Radio then 5 years of Tamoxifen. I know its sounds like an uphill struggle right now but I’ve read a lot on this website and everyone says that while its not always easy its very do-able and most women seem to have more good days than bad.

I really do hope all goes well for you and we get to ‘know’ each other. I find it helps so much to speak to other women in the same boat who understand exactly what you are talking about.

You take care
Ali x

Hi Hayley

Just wanted to say hi, I’m glad to hear that you have been coping so well and are remaining positive. We all have similar stories and many like you have young children. Thankfully my boys have been really great. Not sure that they really understand what’s happening, but that’s probably for the best as I don’t want them to worry.

I had my op ( mastectomy with immediate reconstruction ) 9 days ago and am pleased to say I am quite happy with the way it looks. Get my results back on Mon so I will get my treatment plan after that.

Thanks for coming on and sharing you story with us. It’s great that we have each other for support. Keep posting

Lots of love

Ann

xxx

Welcome to the BC club Hayley - wish you had not needed to join us here but now that you have you will get some good support and advice from the ladies here.

I had WLE and node sampling in Jan followed by 6+ weeks of rads. Am on tamoxifen for 5 years and waiting for bone scan after mentioning in the passing to the GP that I had a pain in my lower back.

Hope all goes well with your treatment and that things don’t get too rocky for you.

I have posted this on behalf of new user Hayley

Kind regards Sam

Blimey…Hello new friends! I am currently sobbing into a tissue and can’t really believe the support from all of you. Thank you, I think it was time I had a good cry as I haven’t yet…

I also cannot believe how many of “us” there are. Initially you do feel really alone and suddenly you’re not. It’s great to hear many similar stories and those who can really understand whats going on in your head (and body!)

For those who asked, I am 41 and I live in Wiltshire so I would class myself a pretty young for all of this. I feel a little bit in limbo at the moment as waiting for appointment with oncologist who will confirm treatment discussed with consultant yeaterday, but I believe that I will start 1st chemo in about 3 weeks time. I asked if I would be cured and was a bit shocked that he said I would not be cured (I got a bit confused with cure and remission) but understand it now

The good news is that this morning I woke up and decided that it is all up to me…So I got up, had a shower, went on the school run and then met 2 friends in starbucks for coffee and cake, bought fathers day gifts for sunday and anniversary present for tuesday. It’s the most i’ve done since 28th May and I do feel like I’m taking control now. Bring it on!

Thank you for all your lovely kind words of encouragement and support, they mean so so much and I return loads of luck and love to you all too.

Hayley x

Hi Hayley and welcome to you, i am 39 and from Hants> I am mid chemo at the mo- 5 down 3 to go then rads. I remember all the waiting for results at the begiining of treatment. Once it all started,I felt more in control and so will you. Wishing lots of luck and hope everything goes as smoothly as possible.

Love Rach

HI Hayley
I am 46 was dx last Oct agressive grade 3 but oestrogen- her 2+.Had 7 lots of chemo first then WLE 21 lymph nodes removed, thankfully all clear and have been told there is a high chance of it not returning, so a good prognosis.Have finished first week of radiotherapy this week and another 2 weeks to go,As I am her+ i am having herceptin every 3 weeks for the next year.
It is daunting at first, but you have a great attitude,and this forum is fantastic, there is always someone who has been there and can answer any questions,and although we cry at times we also have some laughs along the way.

Keep Strong and stay in touch

Mary
xx

Hi Hayley

I posted on here a couple of days ago I am 39, 40 next month celebrations are on hold for a while.

I had a reconstruction but to tell you the truth I would have been as happy with just the mastectomy. As long as it was out, I could have looked at the options clearer in the future. One less decision to make now though.

Since I found out about 6 weeks ago I have had a roller coaster of emotions going on, I’m sure most of us are the same. I have found it helps to have my hubby with me when we go to see the consultant and breast care nurse as I don’t always take all of the information in.

It’s good that you are trying to stay positive, and trying to get on with your life. Hopefully we can all be here for you if you need us along the way.

Keep us up to date on how you are.

Lots of love

Ann

xxx

Posted on behalf of Hayley
Kind regards
Lucy

Hi Rach,

My mum went through this 10-15 years ago in Hants, Basingstoke (chemo) and Southampton (RT) to be exact…anywhere near you?

How are you feeling tho? So many people seem to say that the chemo is not that bad - are they telling the truth?

Much love Hayley x

Hi heyley
sorry you are here but you will get lots of surport and the ladies are lovely

i went thought the same patten as you had lump out and four nodes the went back for results to be told that one was infected and there was a scraping on the margin . so i to had to go back in for a mastectomy just had my results back and was told good news that there was no more cancer and lymph nodes was clear… start chemo on the 1st july…
you will get through this …keep your self possitive and always pop on hear it gives you so much surport…

hope you stay well

sal x

Hi Sal,

I’ve just replied to you on a thread of fudgesees…

Basically telling you to go and do some pampering between now and 1st july!! :slight_smile:
I’ve no chemo date yet but the sooner the better - am hoping that it’s about the same time as you - hate the waiting! (have always been impatient!)

All the best and big hug
Hayley x

Hi Hayley
My mum also had bc but 21 years ago and she is still going strong. She had rads at the south hants in Soton.No chemo as not so into it in 1982 and she was 48. I am rads at soton and have Chemo in Winchester. I live between the two in Romsey. Chemo is hard but I am getting there with it and nearlt at the end.It can be done ! I have had some side effects but nothing terrible. Private message me if you want to Rach xxx

I have posted this for new user Julie,
Jo, Facilitator

Hi Hayley

I’ve never posted before but have found it a great help reading other ladies comments, knowing you are not alone really does help.

I too had my surgery in swindon GWH, I was diagnosed just before Christmas and was told they believed the cancer was found very early and would just need lumpectomy and blue dye SNB this was done on the 9th Jan. However when I went back for results it wasn’t such good news the tumour was much bigger and grade 3 and they did not get clear clearance also 2/6 nodes involved so it was back for further surgery beginning of Feb to remove more breast tissue. Still didn’t get the results I wanted as tissue had large area of DCIS so it was back for a 3rd time at beginning of March to have mastectomy and immediate reconstruction.

I have now had 3 FEC one more to go then have 4 tax and 5 weeks radio. the chemo has been a lot better than I anticipated and I seem to be coping quite well.

Can I just ask when did you have CT and bone scan done have not been offered this are you having private treatment?

Hope you are continuing to recover well from your surgery

Julie x

Hi Hayley,

Welcome…unfortunately. I’m still on the rollercoaster, dx end Feb, and now half way through chemo (done all the FEC now the Tax…yikes!). My low point definitely has to be when I was telling a junior doctor off “my breast care nurse is coming and she’s going to tell you what’s what” and then running away from her downstairs and she’s at the top of the stairs shouting “Come back Mrs …, I won’t touch you!”

I’m coping with teenagers (16 & 15) doing their Highers and Standard grades…good news is I wrote a really good letter explaining situation, and the school can use that for appeals if required!

The trick is your attitude. I find the more “normal” you can be on a day-to-day basis, the better everyone in the family reacts. If I feel tired/grouchy I retreat to my bedroom to slob out in peace!

All the best to you with your treatment, and you know you are welcome on here for a laugh, or to ask, or even to moan!

Sue xxx