Hello I am newly diagnosed with SBC and a bit nervous!!

Hello! I have been reading some of the posts on here for a couple of days as it was recommended to me by a colleague - just plucked up the courage tonight to post.

I have just spent 2 weeks on an Ortho ward after a rather unexpected spinal fracture fixation (L2) to be told on Monday I now have advanced BC with mets in my liver and spine. I had a Hadfields procedure in May 2010 and it seems all was ‘normal’ then but in 17 months with no symptoms at all (not even a day off work) I am struggling to get my head around this diagnosis as I feel so well. I am 35 and start chemo first week of Jan with herceptin and probably radiotherapy at some point. I am meeting the oncologist again next week to ask any questions - do you have any recommendations for where I should start?? I mentioned egg freezing briefly on Monday but the oncologist seemed to think there wasn’t enough time/point but should I question this as we planned to start trying for a family after Christmas and reading the posts on here has given me so much hope for the future I don’t want to let the opportunity pass if it is there!! Not really sure where to start in complete shock still I guess…

Hi and I’m so sorry you have to join us but we are a friendly, supportive and informative group of women living with bc. I was diagnosed by fracture 8 years ago but I’m still here and feeling well.
I know very little about egg freezing as I was in my early 40’s and had completed my family on diagnosis but bumping up your post to the top again so someone might be of more help.
There was an article about a woman with secondaries having a baby on the BBC news site. Will see if I can find it again and post it here.Good Luck with your treatment…I’m so glad you plucked up the courage to post. xxx
Found the article, hope this link works.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5389426.stm

Hi jaspercat and welcome to the BCC forums

I am sorry to read your news, in addition to the support you have here please also feel free to call our hepliners who are here to offer you further support and information, the lines are open 9-5 mon-Fri and 9-2 Sat on 0808 800 6000

I am posting a couple of links below to information I hope you will find helpful, one is a link to the BCC secondaries information page and the other is to fertility and breast cancer information:

breastcancercare.org.uk/secondaries

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/fertility-issues-breast-cancer-treatment-bcc28

Take care
Lucy

Thank you so much Lucy and Belinda - the fertility fact sheet is very useful, lots of questions to ask the oncologist now!! Just need to get through Christmas then the fight is on…