Help during chemo

I’m due to start chemo (having EC) in 2 weeks time but I’m unsure how much I will be able to do for myself. I know it affects everyone differently, but any advice would be helpful.

Thanks Cath

Hi Cath,

Sorry you haven’t had any replies to your question yet, but hopefully someone will now see it and answer you.  I have put for you below BCC’s publication regarding chemotherapy which I hope you find helpful.  Our helpline team are at hand if you need to talk.  Lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2. 0808 800 6000

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/chemotherapy-breast-cancer-bcc17

Take care

Jo, Moderator

Dear Cath, just spotted your post this morning. I think the reason you have not had any answers is that there is so much to say it is hard to know where to start. I started chemo in April and was delighted to find there was a monthly thread for women starting at the same time. That has been a great support. There may be one already for your start date. But it might also be useful to look at the threads for previous months to get some indication in advance. There may also be a thread for your particular form of chemo. I am on FEC-T. You could also look at the thread top tips for dealing with chemo.

Sorry I can’t be more specific. In general I would say that you will be most affected in the first week and by week three if not completely back to normal you will be able to do quite a lot of your usual activities and feeling more on top of things. Good luck.

Hi

I am due to have my 2nd cycle of Chemo next week. I had really mixed emotions after my first chemo as was expecting to feel really different.  I was sick the afternoon off chemo and took myself off to bed, my team have advised that they will change my anti sickness by giving it to me intravenously.  Other than that I have been very fortunate so far, no hair loss yet either - however not sure I will be able to say the same after next week. I generally feel normal, if I feel the same after 2nd cycle I will be looking to go back to work in some format.  I am still doing all the other normal things, lawn mowing, cooking, cleaning etc etc.  Just pace myself, if I feel tired, I sit down, if hungry I eat.  My advice is just pace yourself and take the first cycle each day as it comes, there is no wrong or right way only what is best for you.  I hope all goes well for you.

Hi Cath there is a June 14 chemo thread I would suggest you join this you will all be on the same journey together and you will get great support!