Help, lump in arm

Help, lump in arm

Help, lump in arm Don’t really know where to put this, but hope someone can help.

I’ve had a bit of tenderness in my hand and arm the last couple of days. I’ve had a bit of lymphodoema in this arm before following a level 3 lymph node clearance a couple of years ago, but only very mildly and usually it has just gone away of its own accord. I was hoping this would too.

Today, though, I have woken up and found a lump in my arm, near my arm pit. The skin on the outside is a bit red, but I don’t know whether that’s because I keep touching it or because of something else.

Now I am petrified. Firstly, I am worried that the lump is cancerous, and has now grown to a point where it is interfering with my lymph system. While I was having my chemo I met a woman whose cancer had recurred in her arm and they couldn’t operate. She had lost the use of that arm completely.

Secondly, I am worried that I have some sort of infection in my arm that will cause my arm to swell uncontrollably.

I have some antibiotics that I always keep on hand and have taken some just now. I’ve also put my special sleeve on. And I have called the on call doctor service - I’ve been told they will not be able to call me for a couple of hours because they are so busy. But I do wonder what the doctor can possibly do - they all seem so ignorant about cancer and lymphodoema.

Has anybody else had a lump in their arm come up like this? Would be grateful for any advice and, if possible, reassurance.

Deirdre

Deirdre get on the phone to your Brest Care Nurse ASAP. She’ll get it checked and then you’ll either get a nasty sorted or a good night’s sleep. Hope it’s the latter. Best wishes for it turning out to be innocent, dilly

Dear Deidre I am sorry to read that you are so worried about the lump you have found in your arm and apprecaite that you are waiting to hear from the on call doctor, in the meantime, you are welcome to call our helpline on 0808 800 6000 which is open until 2pm today. The helpline staff are either breast care nurses or have had experience of breast cancer so they will have an understanding of the concern that you have at the moment and will be able to offer you support and advice.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Kind regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care