Herceptin - not given recommended dose because ampoules 150

Herceptin - not given recommended dose because ampoules 150

Herceptin - not given recommended dose because ampoules 150 I have secondary breast cancer and had Herceptin for one yr. It was restarted following a second opinion. I have always received the recommended maintenance dose of 6 mg per kilo of weight until last Friday when I noticed that instead of receiving 340 mg I received 300 mg. My weight is unchanged. When I queried the reduction I was informed that Herceptin comes in 150 mg ampoules so to give me 340 mg they have to waste 110 mg and the NHS cannot afford to do this. In future I will receive 300 mg = 2 ampoules. I have calculated that In order for me to have the recommended dose of 6 mg per kilo I will need to be 50 kilos. This means losing 6 kilos.

Is anyone else having a similar experience?
Are people receiving the recommended dose based on 6 mg per kilo or is your dose based on 150 mg ampoules?

Hi mercedes

I have always been given herceptin based on 6mg per kilo of weight and my weight is probably about the same as yours. I need 348mg of herceptin. There is no question of cutting it back to save wastage. I know that each ampoule is so expensive and it does seem an awful waste, but at my hospital they see it as very important to be given the correct amount. My weight is checked every visit prior to the infusion.

Dawnhc

thank you Thank you Dawnhc very much for taking the trouble to reply. The information you provided is very helpful.

Mercedes

Glad it was of help mercedes - if it is any help to chat to me I am on the other site at
www.phpbbserver.com/breastcancer
same nick

lol Dawnhc