Herceptin Tablet (TEACH) Trial

Is anyone currently taking part in this trial? I have just decided to take part (if I’m suitable) and would be interested to hear from anyone else on it.

Lindagro

I hadn’t heard of this but I am interested in asking about it as I have such trouble with my veins. Do you have any more details?

Anne

Hi Anne, am waiting to see the research nurse, but as far as I can tell from the notes sent to me they are recruiting women who have had surgery and chemo some time ago (have just reached my 5yrs)and who weren’t tested for HER2.
They test your tumour tissue which has been kept (didn’t know they did that!) to assess your suitability first,then if positive you take lapatinib or placebo for 1yr, with 3mth checks.

Will post again when I know more
Linda

Hi Linda
It sounds as if it wouldn’t be offered to me then as I was only diagnosed this year and have started having IV Herceptin. I have such problems with my veins, I know that I will end up with a line again as I did for chemo and was excited at the thought of a tablet instead!

Good luck with the trial.

Anne

You can get more details on this trial by going to clinicaltrials.gov , which is a US government website, and pasting/typing in following words:

lapatinib, united kingdom, teach

Lapatinib (tykerb) isn’t herceptin. It is a rival product that works in a different way but has shown some promise.

I just read a report from ASCO that made me wonder about the TEACH trial. Researchers went back to look at patterns of cancer mortality following diagnosis in 1995 (before herceptin came in) and found that deaths among women with her2 positive primaries occur almost entirely within the first four years following diagnosis. The graph is really striking: essentially it is just a flat line from four years after diagnosis. I would at the very least talk to your oncologists about this, since it seems to raise the prospect that patients with her2 positive primaries die early or make it.

The title of the talk is:
Non-proportional breast cancer mortality patterns according to expression of the HER2 protein, using the residual tissue repository of the National Cancer Institutes Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) program. For more see the her2support website posting Her2 Recurrence Rates pre-Herceptin in the San Antonio forum.

Since this time, I have done some further checking and it seems like there are her2 patients who recur later but then do well on medication. So they wouldn’t count on the death statistics but they aren’t really clear of the disease at 10 years. On this basis, I take back what I said. I think that this would be a good trial for patients, but I think it is going to take a long time for Glaxo to get a result from it.

Hi Linda - just wonderd if you had been accepted - my BC nurse thinks I might be eligble and am waiting to hear from research nurse.

Sarah x x