Hi - hope its ok to ask a question

Dear all,

Not sure which forum to post on, so hope this is ok. My mum passed away at the end of February from secondary BC. She had bone metastes which were not considered life threatening. But all the other tests and scans were clear. The doctors concluded that she had something called microscopic spread, as there were no tumours on any specific organs on all the scans.

She did have fluid build up in her abdomen, which was drained twice in the 2 months before she passed away. She also had other symptoms - stomach burning, double vision, incontinence, among others. I can’t get my head around what this microscopic spread is, and no-one I tell has ever heard of it. Even the gp’s seem unsure. Does anyone know of where I can get information on this? I feel I need to understand it medically.

Hope its ok asking this. Thanks for reading.

Kath

Hi Kath,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for support.

Could I suggest that you give BCC’s helpline a ring and have a chat with one of the nurses here. Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000, lines open Mon to Fri 9am - 5pm and Sat 9am - 2pm.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator

Hi Kath, just wanted to say that I am so so sorry for your loss.

I am afraid I cannot answer your question, but I hope someone here can and will help you to understand what happened to your Mum.

Of course it is ok to ask, any questions are fine as there are many of us at very diverse points with this disease, I do hope someone can give you the answers you are seeking.

Best wishes
Nikki

Hi Kath,

Im also sorry for your loss. I cant answer your question either so i hope by bumping it up someone will come along soon.

Take Care

Leslee x

Hi Kath

So sorry to hear about your mum.

When I had my mastectomy and had my follow up appointment, the surgeon told me the cancer was in the lymph nodes (which had been removed and tested)and was microscopic. When I had my ovaries removed (later found had breast cancer spread there) the surgeon spotted clusters on peritineum which were biopsied (spelling?) and confirmed as breast cancer. The CT/MRI scans never showed this spread and still don’t as its too small. Microscopic spread hasn’t been mentioned to me, but I’m due to see onc in June and will ask about it.

I can let you know what I’m told, but sorry not much help to you at present.

Take care hun x

Hi all,

Thanks very much for your replies. My mum’s GP has now provided me with some of her medical records, and I may go into Maggie’s cancer info centre to get the jargon explained to me. I will also note down the helpline number and probably give them a call as well. I’ll let you know how I get on.

With best wishes to all for everything you are coping with,

K