How long after chemo will I start Anastrazole?

Hi

Just wondered if anyone could tell me how long after chemo has finished will I be put on anastrazole, I’m not having rads, so will be starting the tablet some time after my final chemo, which should be on 23rd May all being well.

Thanks in advance.
Poemsgalore xx

bumpetty bump

Hi…I did have radiotherapy after chemo, and started anastrozole 2 weeks after RT ended…could have started straight after RT but chose (with Onc agreement) to wait until after my holiday, as I didn’t want to deal with any more new side effects!! My friend didn’t have RT and started 3-4 weeks after chemo. Apparently it’s to do with evidence from clinical trials and the potential benefits of sequential treatment (also I guess it gives our bodies time to recover). I did ask her about RT and hormone therapy at the same time, and she said there was no evidence at the moment to suggest this was beneficial. Hope that helps?

Hi Poemsgalore, I had chemo and rads. Last chemo on 6th February and started Anastrozole on 27th February. Started rads on 5th March.
hope this helps

kay x

Thanks Kateeb and Maryland, I have my last chemo next week, no rads, so that might mean I will be give Anastrazole around 20th June or thereabouts.

PG xx

I started on Anastrazole a few weeks after chemo finished. And just to give you something positive - I have had no side effects whatsoever (have been taking them since last June - they have recommended I take Calc-D tablets though as the Anastrazole can affect your bone density so the extra calcium and vitamin D is just insurance. Hopefully you won’t have any SEs!
Jan x

I started on Anastrazole a few weeks after chemo finished. And just to give you something positive - I have had no side effects whatsoever (have been taking them since last June - they have recommended I take Calc-D tablets though as the Anastrazole can affect your bone density so the extra calcium and vitamin D is just insurance. Hopefully you won’t have any SEs!
Jan x

Thanks Jan

I’m glad you have no side effects. I already take a high dose multi-vitamin which includes Vit D. I also eat a fair amount of cheese and other high calcium foods. I used to take a calcium supplement until I was warned of the link with heart disease, so stopped using it. But will continue to eat high calcium foods with Vit D.
PG x

Hi poems galore,
I had my last chemo in mid-February last year but had a ‘loading dose’ of Herceptin 3 weeks later and started Letrozole 2 days later with no side effects. Hope you are as lucky. Good luck.

Take care, Liz.