How to prepare a young family for what is to come!?!

Hi lovely ladies,

So nice to not feel alone :slight_smile:

I’m new on here im going in this week wednesday 15th Oct 14 for surgery to remove most of my breast. I’m only a small 36b and they have found a large lump in there plus ive been bleeding through 6 ducts so they are doing a full ductectomy. I’ve been told i wont be left with much of a breast. I cant find any information anywhere about have a lumpectomy and full ductectomy all within the same operation. A GP friend has said its like having 2 operations in 1.

My kids make me laugh they think mummy has some naughty ducks in her breast lol. They are ages 5 & 7. They are of an age where they luckily dont need picking up. Just wanted to ask other mums out there how they prepared not only themselves but their families. I’ve got a plan ie get all the beds washed before / Fill the freezer / got a cleaner / get mum to help in the first couple of days. My huband is away alot with his work but he will be around more and doing all the school runs with his sister. A chance for him to expeniece my daily ritual of the long drives to school. I’ve seen a forum on here stating what to prepare to take into hospital this has been really useful. If anyone has some advice about how they ballanced their op and their family life plese can you pass on your tried and tested methods this will be a massive help.

Wishing you all well with your treatments.

Lisa :slight_smile: xx

Hi Lisajayne

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support.

As well as the support you will receive here you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

You may also find the book 'mummy’s lump helplful when talking to your children, I’ve added below the link for you to have a look:-. 

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/mummys-lump-bcc164

If you need any further support do give the helpline a ring. They’re on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator