How to stop HRT

Hi guys

Since my lump was discovered and removed with nodes I have tried to get a definitive answer as to the HRT problem. First I was told to stop then a nurse at the pre op assessment clinic looked it up and said no, I could carry on and everytime I ask at the clinic they tell me they don’t have the results back but I should stop the HRT anyway. I am on a very low dose patch FEMSEVEN weekly and nobody has told me how I should stop. How long should I take, should it be gradual or should I just stop. Getting to see my GP is a nightmare. If anyone has any ideas or experience I would be grateful to hear it. Estelle xx

Dear Estelle

This isn’t exactly what you were asking…but anyway, I’ll plough on as no one else seems to be able to help - my sister was advised to give up HRT when she spoke to her Dr after I’d been diagnosed. She was taking HRT in tablet form, and gave up gradually over several weeks, I think, by reducing her dose from daily to every other day, every three days etc. She found it wasn’t too much of a shock to the system doing it like this and didn’t suffer too badly or too long with hot flushes after finishing.

Have you got your results back yet?

Very best wishes

Hi Estelle

If you give the BCC helpline a call they may be able to offer you more information with regard to the questions you have. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Hi Estelle

I had been on HRT for 3 years prior to diagnosis and was told to give it up immediately which i did. I guess there are various schools of thought on this, by the way when i asked if the HRT had caused my breast cancer the surgeon said i had not been on it long enough for it to make any difference. Why do we always look for blame when there is none!

Best wishes
Suzy

I was on HRT for 10 years before I was diagnosed with BC. I tried stopping several times but always the hot flushes were so bad I decided to go back on.
Whether or not it contributed to my BC is not an issue for me as I had 10 good years feeling great ( and now I’m on arimidex and the quality of my life is not so good hot flushes AND joint pain)

Having had 4 children before I was 30 and breast-fed them all, didn’t smoke, was not overweight & there was no family history of any kind of cancer- I don’t look for reasons as to why it happened to me. I am mad as fire that it did but certainly don’t blame myself… or HRT!

If I had my time again, I would still take HRT.