I hate my reconstructed breast! It makes me so upset

Hi Rainbowcat,

Thanks for replying. You have encouraged me to talk to my GP - who is a fantastic woman who always makes time to listen and work out the best way forward. She’s already helped me sort out a couple of things I was worried about as she took it up with the surgeon.

x

2 Likes

Tummy or thighs, not sure yet. I’m hoping for tummy as I already had a c section so I’m thinking what’s another scar there. But I’m a while off this as got to get through chemo first!

Hello Cosmos, your message struck a cord. I am also skinny and the surgeon advised me to “indulge in patisserie and put on a few kilos” if, post-reconstruction, some fat was required to smoothen the edges of the implant or fill in few wrinkles (but I won’t go for this in the end).
She had also said that reconstructing small breasts (A/B) can be more difficult, and it’s never the same as the other one. But regardless of your expectations, it’s a very hard process to get used to one’s new shape. I’d advise you to seek another oncoplastic breast surgeon’s opinion, and speak about how you feel to the BCN. I received some Macmillan counselling immediately after my operation and it was very useful to start accepting my new body.

To embellish my breast and regain a nipple, I’ve decided to avoid yet more surgery to reconstruct it, all the more so that my skin is thin around the scar following the stretching. I’ve opted instead for a prosthesis (on NHS) modelled on the other nipple after hearing lots of positive things about it on another forum (appointment later this month). I may also consider a nipple tattoo at some point, as well as a decorative tattoo when enough time has passed, so that I can look at something I like to look at in the mirror.

I hope you’ll find a listening hear and what is right for you.
All the best.

I wish you all the luck with chemo and hope the experience is ok xx

1 Like

Hi Qwerty,

Sounds like your surgeon has a nice sense of humour! Interesting to hear that smaller breasts are harder to reconstruct - I would have imagined they were easier, but can now see the logic.

And thnk you for the idea of a nipple prothesis. I hadn’t thought of that!

x

1 Like

Hi Cosmos2
I first had oestrogen positive cancer (DCIS) in my right breast and had 3 lumpectomies and 15 sessions of radiotherapy in 2016. I learned to live with my wonky boob. I went 5 years all clear and was on tamoxifen for those 5 years.
In 2023 after requiring a full hysterectomy because of pre-cancerous cells I found a lump in my left breast. This turned out to be oestrogen and progesterone negative but HER2 positive cancer. I had double mastectomy followed by full Axillary node clearance on left. I chose double mastectomy as I couldn’t hsve coped with having cancer a 3rd time. I had six rounds of carboplatin and docetaxel pre surgery with phesgo injections. Post surgery I am now on kadcyla (every 3 weeks for 14 doses) plus zometa every 6 months for 3 years.

I decided against reconstruction as I was only an ‘A’ cup. There are times I hate how I look but then thank God I’m still alive. I’ve now had a port catheter fitted for the kadcycla so another scar. I’ve got prosthesis and im impressed how they look, I’ve treated myself to some pretty bras from M&S.

It is difficult to move on, but just live for today as tomorrow isn’t promised for anyone. I’ve lost my dad and 4 of his siblings to cancer and my sister is currently fighting cancer too. Just look for the little wins.

2 Likes