I love my iPhone !

Hello. Lying in bed beside my sleeping partner writing this on iPhone. Find it hard to sleep so it’s great to have someone to ‘speak’ to rather than cope with panic on my own. Recently diagnosed (03/06/10) and still at stage of stuttering over words ‘I have cancer’ - how weird. Never really thought of myself as someone who would get ill so young (54) nor someone who would get cancer, and of course I don’t feel ill (yet). Feel like either it’s a dream or I am acting or sometimes I wonder if I am making it up for some perverse reason. Having lumpectomy and lymph nodes (level 3) removed 7th July followed by chemotherapy. Found lump exactly one month ago and am laughing at how much my life has changed! It has meant I have had to learn a whole new set of jargon, Ive met a whole new set of people, my diary is full of extra appointments etc. it’s like having another part time job. Also can now find my way round hospital blindfolded and after 37 years of working have begun to wind up my work for the next few months. I guess you could say I am still coming to terms with it all! Have never done this chatting kind of thing on computer before either. Can honestly say this diagnosis has opened up a whole new world to me. Have had many hideous dark scared moments but also life and relationships feel deliciously precious now. My garden has never looked so beautiful. Had better stop now. Don’t understand how this works but hope someone replies. Suddenly had image of lots of women all over the country tapping away on their keyboards in the dark! Goodnight!

Hi cazza9399

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, I hope you will them a great source of support and information.

Whilst you wait for the other user to reply with their advice and experience you may find it useful to have a look at the BCC resource pack. It has been designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available, resources pack. If you would like a pack just follow this link:-

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/82/

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Hi Cazza, you are in the same place I was exactly a year ago and totally understand your feelings and concerns.

Well it has taken a year out of my life, but here I am, had my anniversary mammo and it was clear, so its back to work for me and back to normality, I am so so excited about life now and dont take anything for granted.

You will get through this.

love n hugs

Carol xxxx

Hi Cazza, you are in the same place I was exactly a year ago and totally understand your feelings and concerns.

Well it has taken a year out of my life, but here I am, had my anniversary mammo and it was clear, so its back to work for me and back to normality, I am so so excited about life now and dont take anything for granted.

You will get through this.

love n hugs

Carol xxxx

Hi Cazza

Just wanted to say hi and send you a hugx I am nearly through chemotherapy (1 more to go)then have op and rads. It is a sereal journey but it has become as normal as it can be now. You will find so much support and information on here you just have to ask.

Good luck with everything sending you lots of love

Jayne xxx

Hi Cazza & welcome to the one place none of us want to be. Nevertheless, you’ll find (as I did when I joined a few months ago) the most tremendous support and an unmatched source of information. This is the place to ask questions, read up on the stage you are at and - most importantly - meet a lot of lovely women. When you have dark times and feel you can’t express them anywhere else, come here. Equally, you’ll be encouraged through every step completed and every positive piece of news will be applauded.

A phrase I’ve learned to love is that its all do-able.

Debs x

Hi
I love my iPhone too! And yes, I think we all type away to these forums at odd hours, v early or v late, whenever we can fit it in, because really they are a lifeline! I didn’t discover them till after all my treatment was finished, such a pity.
So best of luck with all the treatment, and keep in touch with us
Sarah

Hi
I love my i phone too and panic if I cany find it. Welcome. Please ask your questions and share your experience. It may take a while for people to respond but they do. We all need to share our worries sometimes. This disease kicks you in the stomach but it opens your eyes.I cannot believe how even more beautiful my children have become- even when they are being little b**gers. dx

Hi Cazza,

I have just finished chemotherapy and awaiting MX and recon on 6 July.
In a similar way to you, I felt that my life was changing forever at the beginning of the year, and certainly there have been big changes, like the innumerable hospital appointments (I’ve had 4 this week!), but on the whole my life isn’t so different now than it was on 5th Jan before my diagnosis. I have been lucky enough to remain fairly well throughout and have only had 18 sick days since surgery, on days one and two of each cycle, 3 when I had my PICC inserted and was too emotional to deal with work, and 3 during my last cycle when I was just too tired to believe that I would productive in the office. I have entertained less, but my friends have entertained me more, and I have avoided the theatre in the evenings since I dozed off having spent £54 on a ticket last time I went!
I have been tired and emotional … but life has gone on pretty much as I knew it! So don’t anticipate the worst, I would say be aware of the possible side effects of chemo, but don’t necessarily expect them. And if possible try to do as many of your usual activities as possible, including work, if your job is not too physically demanding and you have accommodating employers who do not mind you going for appointments (I make mine as early or late in the day as possible for minimum disruption). I would have gone crazy if I was not working.
However, also like you I appreciate some things, and people (especially my OH) much more.
But I shall still be pleased when 2011 starts and I can look forward to a new year without surgery, chemo or rads. DX on 6th Jan does mean that my BC year coincides nicely with the calendar one :slight_smile:

Jacqui

Completely agree with Jacqui on ‘be aware of the possible side effects of chemo, but don’t necessarily expect them.’ Sometimes these forums are a bit distorting in that it seems everybody suffers badly from SEs, but that’s because people with problems tend to post more often. My life was much less disrupted than I had initially thought when they told me all the treatments I would have. Actually I did most of the things I would normally have done, including work, and the more I did the less I noticed side effects or worried about cancer. So give yourself lots of breaks and treats if you need it, but don’t assume everything grinds to a halt…
S

THANK YOU all so much for all the support and encouragement. Couldn’t believe it when I saw all those replies today. Feel SO MUCH better knowing you are all there and that I am not only one going through this. Have smiled today for first time in days and know I will sleep better tonight. Thank you again. Hope you all sleep well too.