I would really like some advice please.

Hi all, very new to here but have been reading some of your posts and replies, I have been genuinely touch by your friendship and support for each other. I would like to find out some info concerning my mum. She first had breast cancer 23 years ago when I was 6 years old. She had a lumpectomy and underwent radiation and brought up three girls who love her very much. A couple of months ago she noticed changes in her breast and had it investigated. At first they couldn’t find anything but her consultant thought it best for her to have an MIR. This proved to be inconclusive and they took several biopsies and then confirmed cancer in both breasts and the underarm lymph nodes. She has had her bonemarrow tested and another scan which I can’t remember the name of at the moment. The bonemarrow results are again inconclusive and the other scan revealed that the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes in the chest. She had a case conference yesterday and she was called into today to be told this. When she came home she told me as much as she could remember(she went with her sister who knows just as much as she does) but what I can’t understand is that she was told that she would never be fully cured of the cancer. She won’t have a mastectomy beacuse it has already spread but she is going to start chemo soon. I spoke to a bc nurse today who said that her cancer wasnt secondary but she said that her consultant was right with what he said. I may seem ignorant but this is all new to me and I was just wondering if anybody could explain things to me. My heart goes out to all of you, those with cancer and those with loved ones with it.
Jo

Just bumping this up for some replies…

I think you need to look for the thread about regional/local recurrence.JaneRA is someone who could help with information so maybe you could send her a private message.
Good Luck to your Mum[would she join us too?]
Love Val

Hi Jo

Welcome to the forums, I hope you are finding them supportive and informative. If you look under the following section you will find lots of threads on recurrence which you might find helpful:-

breastcancercare.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=23

It may also be an idea to post again under this section as you are more likley to receive a greater response on this subject.

If you would like to discuss your Mum’s diagnosis with somone from our helpline please to don’t hesitate to give them a call, the staff here are all either breast care nurses or people who have personal experience of breast care issues. The number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open 9 to 5pm Nonday to Friday and 10 to 2pm Saturday.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Bump …

Hi Jo

Im sorry your mum is having to go through this but its good to hear that she has such supportive and caring daughters … she obviously did a great “Mum” job!
I cannot answer your questions Im afraid - I just wanted to keep your post up there for replies and wish you and your Mum the best of luck.

Take care
Sue xxx