I'm scared!

Hi everyone I’m new here! Well where do I start…
I’m 24, a student midwife and have 2 little boys. I went to the doctors on Tuesday cause I found quite a big lump in my left breast. The doctor has really scared me cause she started off saying that it’s really rare at my age, won’t be anything to worry about and that she would just feel it as a precaution etc etc. So she felt my lump, had a look of horror on her face! She said I have a 3-4cm suspicious mass shaped like a cocktail sausage, and that she is going to send me on an urgent referal to the breast clinic! I asked if it’s likely to be just a cyst but she said no cause of it’s shape! Now I’m really worried, waiting for a phone call with an appointment! Help I’m soooo scared!

Hi funkycooljem and welcome to the BCC forums where I am sure you will lots of support from your fellow users. in addition i am posting a link to our ‘Referral to a breast clinic’ publication which you may find helpful to read:

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/59/

You are also welcome to call our helpline on 0808 800 6000 where you can speak to one of our team in confidence for further support, information and a ‘listening ear’, the line is open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 9-2.

Take care
Lucy

It is terrifying when you are in your situation and we have all been there. But please be aware that firstly, you have not been diagnosed with breast cancer and 9 out ot ten lumps are fine. Plus it is very rare for someone so young to get it, though as you will see fromthese pages it does sometimes happen. The urgent refferal is standard for a breast lump, they have to investigate them within 2 weeks in england, precisely to take the decision out of the gps hands, so they don’t hold people like you back for fear of being criticised.

So, chances are it could well be nothing to be concerned about. In the unlikely event that it is cancer, you are in the system quickly and will find that matters progress usuallly pretty quickly too. Breast cancer is very treatable and although a lot of the treatment is unpleasant, it is also very doable. I knoiw this as i have had a n operation to take the lump out, arm pit procedure to check whether it has spread to my lymphnodes, and have had 4 out of 6 chemotherapy, one today and i am still here typing!

Let us know how you are, take care

Vickie
xxx

Thanks guys! Just hate all this waiting lol would be better if I knew when my appointment was! Plus I have massive end of year exams in 2 weeks! Arrggghhh the stress and worry is wearing me down!

Hi Funkycooljem

Just a note to wish you well

Hugs Suze x

Hi, funkycooljem

waiting for appointments and results is the scariest part of the whole thing. Hope everthing is ok for you, you have a lot on your plate for a young strip of girl! I have had a mastectomy and have had number 2 of 8 chemo but feel fine in between and I’m an old lady of 62!
keep us posted how you get on

hugs

Carolx

Hi guys I have my clinic appointment on Wednesday at 11:45 so not much more waiting! Thanks again for your lovely messages and support x

Hi funktcooljem Glad you have your appt so quickly, as others have said it is unusual in early 20,s to have BC shape,pain, no pain, ragged edge, smooth edge etc in lumps are not definitive of BC.Do you have a one stop clinic where you are or is it the hosp?Wishing you well at your appt and esp. for the results.Do let us know. Love Jackie xx

Hi funktcooljem Glad you have your appt so quickly, as others have said it is unusual in early 20,s to have BC shape,pain, no pain, ragged edge, smooth edge etc in lumps are not necessarily definitive of BC.Do you have a one stop clinic where you are or is it the hosp?Wishing you well at your appt and esp. for the results.Do let us know. Love Jackie xx

Sorry did this twice 2nd one has extra word in it. J

Hi thanks for the reply! Do they just check one boob or both coz I think I might have a smaller lump in the other one too! I have also got a lump on my neck so should I tell them that too? I think it’s a one stop clinic at the hospital!

They check everything, tell them the lot and let them get on with it,

good luck

Vickie

Just to let you all know, I had my appointment at the clinic today and everything is fine! The lady said it’s just normal tissue that’s growing rapidly for some reason??? Don’t know why it’s just that bit growing bigger, but she said just to keep an eye on it! Phew! Thanks for all of your support, I have been really worried and you guys have helped me soooo much and kept me sane!!

so pleased for you, phew! thanks for letting us know

xxx