im scared

I’m worried and scared
My boyfriend on saturday felt an hardening lump in my breast, i managed to get the the doctors monday morning and he has referred me to the hospital for a scan of it. He said it could just be a hardening of the breast tissue but he wanted to be sure.
Its not a small pea shape lumy its larger.

Im so scared, the hosptial rang me the same morning and i have got my appointment for the scan a week today.
I just dont know what to expect, will they just scan it? will i know if its just muscle tissue there n then? will i have to wait and go back if its nothing or just if the results arent the best and i need futher tests :frowning:
The doctor didnt tell me much apart from ill have a scan.
Im going on my own to the appintment out of choice i dnt want to be worrying about someone else there getting upset.

Ive got no family hisotry at all of breast cancer and im 28 (not that that makes a difference)
Whatcan i expect?!

Hi there, and welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for some good support and I am sure your fellow forum users will be along shortly to help you.

In the meantime, could I suggest that you give the helpline here a ring and have a chat with one of the staff who will be able to explain what to expect when you go for your appointment and give you some support. The helpline is open now until 5pm (Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 9-2). Calls are free, 0808 800 6000.

Also I’ve put you the link to one of BCC’s publications which you may find helpful to read.

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/59/

I hope this helps. Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

thank you,
ill have a read :slight_smile: x

Hi minstraljojo

You’re at the really sh*tty part, this waiting’s horrible. You will certainly still worry, but the statistics are good, as 9 out of 10 lumps turn out to be non-cancerous. Lots of people get cysts or have other things.

Do take a look at the leaflet that Jo suggested, and try to avoid googling, as there’s a lot of misinformation out there. Read the stuff in the Media centre, particularly the worried stuff.

As for what happens at the clinic, that depends on how they operate, but you might find you have a mammography (undignified and uncomfortable but not painful) where they x-ray the breasts. Then you might have an ultrasound scan where they look at what they’ve found on the mammo (if they can see anything - on the mammogram that is, the ultrasound works fine on any age -, young breasts can be difficult to see things on - I’m 48 and they didn’t see my lump!) and they’ll also look at where you’ve found the lump.

The ultrasound is not painful. Depending on what they find (lots of people have cysts, fluid-filled sacs) they may stick you with a very fine needle to see if it will drain. That’s less painful than a wasp sting so although it looks alarming, the needle is extremely fine so doesn’t hurt much at all. Something else they might do is a core biopsy, which is more uncomfortable but they give you a local anaesthetic so that doesn’t hurt - the anaesthetic going in is worse, but not as painful as anaesthetic at the dentist. If that happens you might need paracetamol afterwards.

But even then, a lot of lumps then turn out not to be cancer either.

The worrying is horrible, but the stats are on your side. Feel free to come on here and post your worries, we all know what you’re going through as we’ve all been there ourselves.

Very best of luck, and I have everything crossed for you.

CM
x

…breathe deeply. Other earlier posts, I hope were helpful and remember hpls now have guidelines and targets - so the fact that you’ll be seen quickly doesn’t mean you have the Big C. Thinking of you, Barbara