Impant with expander

I’m having an implant put in on Friday 31st Augst, I’m terrified and also excited about having a breast again after 3 years. Any one have any tips or recommendations, will it hurt?

Hi redlou. I haven’t had any surgery yet, so can’t give any tips, but just want to wish you good luck! I’m sure you’ll get some more answers tomorrow.
Emma
xxx

Hi redlou
Please don’t be terrified and do get excited! My personal experience of having expander implant 31/5/07 apart from a few aches when I turn over in bed I’ve had no probs with it. It’s a permanent expander implant which means it will stay in place and no need for further surgery to replace it. I had an initial expansion of 110 mls at the time of surgery then a further 60mls 4weeks later and 100mls 1 week after that. The total size/capacity of it is 130mls silicon and 270mls saline equalling a 400mls implant. I had over expansion of 60mls 2 weeks later which is now being left till November to overstretch the skin to allow a natural fall to breast when excess is removed. It felt tight when the expansions were done but after a few days the discomfort was minimal. I originally was a 36 DD and now have a 36C (depending on the bra!)

I hope this helps and hasn’t been too much info for you and if you have any questions feel free to ask :o)

Deb
xxx

hi Deb

thanks for the information you gave Redlou which I also found very useful. I am still in the middle of treatment at the mo, just one more chemo left and then 5 weeks of rads together with 12 months of herceptin. So a long way to go yet. I didnt want any additional surgery when I had my left mastectomy and thought I never would. However, I am beginning to think that an expander implant might be quite a good thing to do!

I hope you dont mind me asking you a few questions! When did you have yours done with regard to your original breast surgery, how long were you in hospital, how does it look in a bra and out of a bra? Did you have anything done with your other breast? Any information would be gratefully received!

Redlou, perhaps you also have more info now which you wouldnt mind sharing?

Thanks everyone,
Pauline x

Hi Deb. So many thanks for that it has made me feel so much better. I’m seeing Consultant on Tuesday before operation to be measured etc. I only have small breast so would imagine my may be quicker less topping up to d. I am really looking foreard to having a new breast which should be ready for next summer. Many thanks and best wishes

Lou x x x

Hi Pauline
Don’t mind at all!
I had right mastectomy Aug 06, fortunate results led to no chemo, rads or homone therapy, but due to several infections it took over 4 months to heal so was about 10 months later when I had recon. I went in morning of 31/5 and was home dinnertime the next day with co-codamol + ibuprofen for pain relief.
In a bra it looks great, sitting a bit high at mo due to over expansion and left’un not as pert! Out of a bra…how can I say this…? it just sits there! Sorry if that sounds odd but I’m used to 2 larger versions kinda agreeing with gravity lol Tis early days yet but I know over time it will soften more naturally.
I’m lookin to reduction/lift of the left in the New Year and will discuss details as to what and how in Nov when I see consultant.
Hope this helps
Deb
xxx

Hi Lou
You’re more than welcome and glad I could be of some help. When you see consultant ask anything that pops into your head, no matter how daft it may sound, thats what they are there for and should be able to reassure you as much as poss.
Wishing you well for Tues + future!
Luvnhugs
Deb
xxx

Deb

Thanks for that, I think Im really going to have this reconstruction now!

As my 7 year old daughter keeps pointing out, “one side is okay but the other is much too flat”!

Pauline x

Always glad to help
Aaahh bless! I love comments like that - total innocent honesty - best policy! :o)

Deb
xxx

Hi redlou, I had an expander put in at the time of my mastectomy last October. I went back several times to have saline injected into it until it was the same size as the right one. I am (finally) going in on Wednesday to have the expander taken out and a permanent implant put in. It is a bit solid at the moment. I am hoping the permanent one will be a bit more natural. I am strangely looking forward to it. I will let you know how it goes.
Heidicat

Redlou
Hope all went ok Tues + wish you well for tomorrow!
Luvnhugs
Deb
xxx

Hi Everyone had the expander in on Friday came home Saturday, but feel like I’ve been run over by a lorry. Painkillers help quite a lot. The good news is when I have the xpander out and the permanent implant in my surgeon is going to do the other breast, small implant, so they will be match. He says its the only time you can get a boob job on the NHS. Had some saline in when they put in the implant and so have small breast, well sort of. Go back in two weeks for first expansion, think I’m only going to have two or three. Thanks to everyone for their good wishes.

Love & best wishes Lou

Hi Lou,

Hurrah! Glad its all done now, Im sure it will settle soon, every day should feel better.

Ive since discovered I cant have an implant as Ive got to have radiotherapy! Well, they didnt tell me that when I decided to just go for mastectomy… they said I could always have recon in future and I thought they meant recon or expander… apparently not! So I had better get used to my wonky boobs!

Take care, hope you feel better soon!

Pauline x

Hi everyone. Had my expander taken out on Wed afternoon and replaced with an implant. Stayed in Thursday, and then had my drain out on Fri and came home. Not much pain at all. Biggest problem was a sore throat,probably caused by tubes during the op. Taking it easy at home now. Compared to the last op it was all very easy. They are keeping an eye on me at clinics for a while to make sure I don’t get any infection in it. Make sure you do your exercises even if they hurt a bit. It is worth it not to lose the full use of your arm.
Take care
Heidicat

Hi, Monday morning and I feel almost normal. Pain subsided and I can move my arm in every direction. Two weeks to my first expansion I’m expecting that to be quite painful. Thanks for all you best wishes.

Louise x x

Hi Lou
So glad all went well for you, first few days are the worst, I think, trying to get used to something yr not used to being there, but sounds like yr doin great. First expansion for me wasn’t at all painful, part from a mild tightening I didn’t feel a thing! It felt tighter the day after but was more comfortable after a couple of days.

Pauline - sorry to hear they said you can’t have implant but like you said tis early days + a way to go yet so I personally would still keep it an option if poss. I didn’t have rads but had an infection + fluid build up in my mastectomy scar which took nigh on 4 months to heal + was initially told, sizewise, I’d be better with LD recon. Saw a 2nd consultant, different hospital who said expander option was ok to have - so who knows eh! Take each day as it comes + what may come, may be :o)

Heidicat - Can I ask - why so long tween expander + implant? Sorry for asking but noticed yr ‘finally’ in post + was wonderin. Sounds like yr doin great too tho! :o)

Deb
xxx

Hi everyone, Deb asked why so long between expander and implant. Initially my scar was slow to heal, so they didn’t start ‘inflating’ me straight away. Then I had about five fortnightly visits for expansions. I saw my consultant in April (6 months after op) and she said it could be done asap. Problem was no theatre time til June. I had hols booked, then she had hols booked so it was arranged for early August. Then I got a lot of insect bites which became infected (there was a plague of mossies at the time) so it was put off again. I think normally it would have been done much sooner.
I am feeling fine now, less than a week since implant put in. Getting a bit bored as have not started driving again yet. Think I should be ok to drive soon.
Heidicat xx