Instant menopause after rads soon - any comments?

Hi everyone!

I’m 42 and having 4 sessions of radiation to shut down my ovaries in a couple of weeks. Will then be plunged into instant menopause and taking, I think, Arimidex instead of Tamoxifen. Anyone else out there had something similar and what was it like?

Love, Sarah.

Hi Sarah
I had this done 2 years ago as due to other problems I couldn’t have surgery. You get about 3 or 4 zaps to your uterus/ovaries, for me it was above my pubic area and and also from underneath - so a double zap each time. I was told there might be side effects for a few days as your lower bowel is in the way and gets a dose as well. Without putting you off it was about 2 weeks of effects like irritable bowel syndrome. Infact for the 1st 2 weeks I could not go far from a loo :frowning: Be prepared! However no SE"s after that all calmed down and it was one of the best ‘diets’ I’d ever been on LOL I lost about half a stone and just before Christmas as well! I continued to have Zoladex for another month after this just to make sure the rads had done there job as I don’t think it is as instantaneous as having your ovaries removed. I went on to Arimidex as well (although I was already having this whilst having Zoladex after chemo)
I won’t be around for a couple of weeks to give any more of my experience so I hope it all goes well for you.
Nicky

Hi Nicky,

Thanks for your words of wisdom! I had forgotten that my onc.mentioned “bowel troubles” last week, until you talked about it, so thanks for that. Sounds pretty grim apart from the weight loss, which is always welcome! Do you get menopause - like symptoms straight away? And if so, what are they like? Don’t worry if you don’t see this for a while.

All the best,

Sarah.