Inverted nipple changes

Hi I’m a worried 67 year old. 10 weeks ago I noticed a sudden inverted nipple (nipple has completely disappeared and the body system has filled the hole. Fast tracked to the breast clinic. Mammogram and ultra sonic. No change in mammogram
since last August. Saw consultant who said 9/10 inverted nipples are caused by an infection but we cannot find an infection in you. We don’t know what has caused it - come back in 3 months. I kicking myself I didn’t ask the question what about the 1/10. Stupidly I went to the appointment on my own and was like a rabbit in head lights. A month to go until I see the consultant again. Symptoms include breast shrinkage, discomfort and a hardened areole. Doesn’t seem right. I’m tempted to ring the beast nurse but to be honest don’t want to cause a fuss. Appointment with consultant 9 October - left breast consuming my thoughts. Has anyone else experienced this? Have been reading about on Duct Estasia I’m hoping it might be that. But I’m very worried that it’s Breast Cancer particularly with the recent changes.

Hi
I’m not a clinician, simply a 69 year old who spotted a major breast change on 13 Jan 2023, diagnosed with invasive lobular carcinoma on 24 Jan 2023, & 1st chemo cycle 3 March. It was advanced, but primary so treatable.

I feel your concern and as you have both your appointment & contact with the cancer care nurses, don’t shy away from using them. I presented quite advanced & was fast tracked through, 7 weeks from GP to starting neo-adjuvant chemo.

Once in the system I settled down & just kept saying I was fine, even when side-effects were not. I’ve had to learn to be open & letting all those involved know exactly how I’m feeling. Yes they are exceptionally busy, but without fail I haven’t come across anyone whose sole aim is to see everyone one of us come out the other end with the best possible outcome we are capable of reaching. I don’t know how they keep going, but not once have any of them made me feel that any question, request, call etc was inappropriate/silly/excessive etc.

If you feel you are experiencing a change, development just call the contact number/help line. It’s most likely an answerphone. Leave a brief message of your concerns. They will get back to you and appropriately deal with your concerns. They are not keen on us “Googling” our answers/diagnoses.

Keep strong, the community is extraordinary & there is always someone who understands what you are going through & able to support you.

I do hope that when you get your diagnosis it proves to be benign. Thinking of you. Ana xx

1 Like

Cause a fuss. I ignored my nipple changes due to the early days of Covid. Mine was caused by a grade 3 tumour. I’m now stage 4. Mammograms are not full proof.
My first tumour only showed on ultrasound due to having dense tissue.
All will most likely be well but it’s better to be vigilant than timid.

1 Like

Thank you Ana. I’m going to give them a call :heart:

Hi Salopian

Thanks for posting.

It sounds as though you are having a difficult time at the moment, and it is understandable that you are anxious about the changes you’ve seen in your breast.

Breast changes can happen for many reasons. The vast majority of people referred to a breast clinic do not have cancer. They may have changes due to benign conditions (not cancer).

It sounds as though the symptoms that first took you to the clinic haven’t resolved and as @barca541 says, if you have the contact details of a breast care nurse you might want to consider discussing it with her or requesting an earlier appointment, if possible, to get this checked out. As you have said your thoughts are consumed by your worries about your left breast you don’t need to feel that this is causing a fuss.

As you’re feeling worried, it might also help to call our helpline to talk this through more or ask any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Julie

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.