Is it normal for clinic to not check the whole breast (in younger women)?

Hi all and Happy New Year,

I have posted here in the past about going to the breast clinic due to having a lump and thickening breast tissue- thank you to those who offered useful words and advice.

The last time I went to the breast clinic (about 6 weeks ago) they used ultrasound on about 2 inches of my breast where they felt thickening and my armpits as I had about 7 movable lumps in there which they concluded were cysts and thus nothing to worry about.

Having a strong family history of breast cancer, I am of course very cautious about any changes. I left the clinic feeling a bit confused as I would imagine that they would have at least checked my whole breast (or both?)

Just 3 days after this apt, I located a lump (small and movable) in the same breast about 1 inch away from where they had scanned. I was referred again and my appointment is tomorrow. I felt that if they had been more thorough this lump may have been found last time. I don’t know, is this normal? (the nature of the examination I mean, not the lump!)

Thank you,

Zutter

Hi Zutter, 

I am sorry to hear that you are going through this anxious time, I am sure some of our users will be along to offer reassurance and support soon.

If you would like to talk, you can always call our support line at 0808 800 6000. They will be able to talk to you about the lump you have found and offer a friendly ear.

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Digital Community Assistant