Is it possible to lose weight on Tamoxifen?

Hi,

it is slow to lose weight. I think we get a distorted idea of how quickly you can lose weight from all those miracle images we see on the web “I lost 230lbs in 5 weeks” things. Those are the exceptions. As long as its going down, that’s worth celebrating.

I’ve been keeping a blog about my efforts to lose weight on the dreaded T. Its at girlvstamoxifen.wordpress.com/

In three months I’ve lost 2.6kg, but I’m pretty pleased with that.

Remember to think about the other health consequences of diet and exercise and don’t just concentrate on the weight loss, and remember that even a small decrease in BMI reduces your chance of recurrence.

You can do it!

-chibi 

Hi I am still taking tamoxifen and during that time gained two stone. I always blamed the tablets and didn’t know what to do. I was also suffering from fatigue which was a nightmare with work and life in general. I decided to join weight watchers Feb last year with the hope something would happen. Well, the first 3 weeks I was really good and didn’t lose anything which was upsetting but I carried on and then started to lose 2lb a week. What I also noticed by changing my diet my fatigue was getting better and suddenly had lots more energy. So ten months later I have now reached my goal and a bit more and feel great. If you are looking to lose weight give it a go. I know it doesn’t work for everyone but even if it helps with your fatigue it will be worth  it. Hope this helps.  Good luck…xx

I’m gaining weight on chemo and very worried about tamoxifen. I lost the stone 7 years ago and kept it off until about 10 months before diagnosis. Nothing changed with my diet or exercise bit I wonder if it was due to the tumor growing. I see such Good results from slimming have world but it will depend on the consultant. Best get through chemo first. We are entitled to see a nutritionalist once having a cancer diagnosis x

I went through dbl masectomy 3 years ago, though in my mid 40’s, my GP would not send me for a mammogram.  It took 8 appointments until I was taken seriously.

YES, I am single, no children :frowning:  live on my own, lost my job after telling my employer that I would need time to recover. After going through the radiotherapy and starting Tamoxifen, my life changed in an instance.

Prior to my diagnosis, I self trained as a Triathlete, I was the fittest I have ever been, so toned and ideal weight. I do suffer with Osteoarthritis (family history) and it has worsened in the last 2 years dramatically.

I am doing my best to stay positive, even though there is something niggling at the back of my mind. I can only say, I haven’t accepted whats happened but just deal with it.

I don’t feel femine anymore and put up my guard if any men strike up a conversation with me. I gained over 2 stone since three years ago and comfort eating. My friends tell me I’ve lost my personality and now I am wondering if there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Is this normal? Anyone who can relate to this, please let me know.

I’m sure these feelings are normal that’s why so many breast cancer charities offer counselling. I’m definitely going to take up some counselling and set myself some new goals. I was a sprinter and a swimmer so maybe I’ll put a triathlon on that list. Definitely look into counselling and join some groups. I’ve joined a Facebook group called building resilience after breast cancer. It’s been helpful. I’m not really a face to face group person x

I have been on tamoxifenfor a year and a half my weight is up, not necessarily from the drug but it won’t let me lose more than 5 lbs ugh

Hi there.  I was diagnosed Feb 2016, had double m/s and put on Tamoxifen, been on this full time since Nov 2016.  Having a bad time - joints reall ypainful, i have old injuries that are deteriorating, and i am out of breath, severly when swimming spinning, which i do all the time.

To say they want me to stay on it 10 years, i think i will have committed suicide before then, as i have a disability and can only do non impact stuff, and can’t go walking.  It’s awful, i would rather not take it, and just get on with my llife.  I am being referred for a hysterectomy as i also have bad abdominal pain, and have the risk of it spreading.

I am 45, and only work 2 days a week, thank goodness, becasue i am so tired, and yes, i think i have put weight on, as my IBS - C has gotten worse sine al this.

<li-spoiler> </li-spoiler>

Hi I have been on Tamoxifen for 4 years now and have gained weight about 22lb . Over the time I tryed losing weight by counting calories also did the 5 2 diet all from home with no luck. I even started buying bigger clothes as I thought this is something I have just got to accept.

My sister in law goes to slimming world and Ithought I would give it a try. I can honestly say its the best thing I did I followed the diet which is very healthy and now after 14 weeks I have lost all my weight I had gained .

It has been the best thing I ever did as you can eat lots, it feels hard to believe . I am so happy now I thought if I could advice any one stuggling to give this a try. It does help if you go to a class as you get lots of suport and advice.

Good luck

Morning all

just wondered if anyone is taking tamoxifen and drinking protein shakes in the morning as part of your weight loss journey.

i have been on tamoxifen for 4 years now and in that time i have managed to lose 3 of the 4 stone I put on during chemo etc.

i have joined a free fit club and had started drinking a Herbalife protein shake in the mornings which was working well for me.only thing is I had to stop as someone google the ingredient soy protein isolate and said it increases estrogen which counteracts the tamoxifen.

does anybody know if this is true? If anyone can help I would really appreciate it x

I would not touch herbalife sypplements. Living with a former body builder we did everything to avoid soy and with oestrogen positive cancers the research would suggest to avoid soy. I would buy a good soy free protein such as reflex or kinetica.

Hello Ladies, I have been on Tamoxifen for 4 years and have put on 3+ stones. Previously was wearing tops at size 12 and bottoms size 10 and was active in exercises. My sizes went to 18 and 16. Also stopped exercising because of my joints were hurting and didn’t have any mood to do anything as I was feeling tired most times.

This year, my doctor sternly told me to lose some weight as this will also bring my glucose and cholesterol levels down. So I started eating more healthier… try to cut of carbs and half the normal portions. Also, started taking daily walks.

Till date, have lost about 1 half stones and it does feel a lot better

Wishing everyone good luck in weight control. Best wishes xxx

Oh thank goodness! I thought it was just me! I was thinking the plus side to chemo (hahaha!!) was that Iwas going to shed  a bit of weight, nope, so far I’ve put 2 stone on! Talk about kick you when you’re down.

I’ve had a lumpectomy, chemo & radiotherapy, I’m now on tamoxifen daily & 3 weekly herceptin injections. My joints ache, I can’t shift weight despite all my efforts. I’m exercising as much as I can, which is mostly walking and yoga.

I’ve been a weight watcher memeber for years and have been really sucessful with them, but it doesn’t seem to make any difference now!

eek

Hi.
I too have a pot belly and as my mom pointed out…a fat ass!
So tamoxifen is the culprit eh!? Ive put on a stone and a half in 11 months. Ive read potassium helps…anyone on here take potassium as a tablet? Only asking because the foods high in it i dont like apart from bananas. X

Hi!

I managed to lose weight. I was separating my food, applying creams for losing weight (Nivele and others). I also, tried to be physically active instead of sitting in one place.

Hi I am exactly same had mastectomy 2016 now on tamoxifen since 2016 I have gained 2 stone hate myself way I look clothes not fitting losing teeth from it I’m 44 confidence has gone I 've got oestheoarthiritis too that’s got worse wish they would take ovaries womb and fallopian tubes so I cud come off tamoxifen cos of my age they won’t do it I’ve got 7 children don’t want anymore all down to cost nothing else they won’t do my other breast till I lose weight I’m lopsided can’t lose weight on tamoxifen surgeon knows that all down to money as usual so fed up

I’m the same also Im niw 59 had a masectomy in March 2016 started taking tamoxifen Jan 2017 after the chemo amd radio … I’ve gained an extra 2.5 stone eat like wuite normal … my skin is getting dryer on my arms, legs feet and hands…My stomach is the worst it like hangs and feels bloated all the time… Im getting mood swings… and hot flushes even through ud already gone through the change… I was not offered or even told that having a full hysterectomy would enable me to stop taking tamoxifen so may ask my breast nurse about that this week…

?

Hi Ladies, A lot of us taking tamoxifen would argue that it’s the cause of our weight gain, I certainly did but after coming off them last October due to developing osteoarthritis I hoped the weight would fall off but sadly it didn’t! I am currently on a mission to lose 2 stone via slimming world, I’m having to work hard at shifting it including walking 4 miles a day with my dog which is more a plod with arthritic knees but it’s working and after 5 weeks I am a stone down ? 1 more to go by August for my sons wedding is the goal! 

I was 46 at diagnosis and am 2 weeks off my 50th now and wonder how much of the weight gain is due to age also I know with hindsight I was eating far more than I’d like to admit ? I don’t think there is any magic answer but will never give up trying to look my best! ???

I was refused a hysterectomy when I asked as we make oestrogen in our fat too so removing our ovaries wouldn’t eliminate it, another reason for reducing our waistlines! 

Good luck ladies Xx Jo 

Big hugs to you. I was 32 when I was told I had BC, went through chemo radio therapy. I went on to tamoxifen wasn’t to bad at first,weight gain unbelievable so I went and spoke to my breast Dr and she reffered me to see the gynygologist at first he wasn’t on my side when I asked for a hysterectomy. Try this try that,I wasn’t having any of it. So after about 6 months going back and for he give in and put me on the list to have a total hysterectomy. 1yr and 6 months on best thing I’ve done. I’m 6 yrs cancer free now but the only down side is tamoxifen is still with me. Totally gutted I did try different tablets but just didn’t agree with me. I’ve come to the point that I’m going to carry this weight until I come off the tabs I know it’s so bloody hard I train a good 3-4 times a week I work ful time,but hay ho I’m 39 I’m still alive and I got my fab husband and my brilliant children with me. Just keep on to your Dr it’s your body x good luck xx

I have put on 2-stone - 6 years of tamoxifen - going to speak to GP to rule out other causes of weight gain and considering going to a nutrionist