Is it triple negative?

I saw a surgeon at the breast clinic today who told me that as I am er negative and her2 negative I’m going to probably need chemo. He didn’t mention whether they tested progesterone and I walked out in a bit of a daze. Does this mean I’m goung to be classed as triple negative? Do they test for progesterone if I am already negative for everything else?

Hi Sarah

Please do give our Helpline a call, they will definately be able to answer your questions.  

0808 800 6000

(text relay prefix: 18001)

We are open:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Monday and Wednesday 5pm-7pm,
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes
Anna
Digital Community Officer

Hi Sarah.

I was told at my first appointment after initial biopsy my oestrogen, progesterone and HER2 status - so I think they routinely check for all three.  Probably worth giving the BCN a ring to double check.

Hugs. xx

Hi Sarah, it might also depend on what size your tumour is, whether you have lymph nodes involved and whether they get/got clear margins at surgery. Ring your breast care nurse, she should be able to help you. Keep asking them until you understand it all, there is so much to take in all at once. Sending a hug.

I got a letter today confirming it is triple negative so now I’m waiting for the oncologist appointment to find out the next step treatment wise