Is refusing Rads a good idea?

I had a very interesting chat with my consultant oncologist, the one in charge of rads. She told me quite a few things about my tumour that I didn’t know. 36mm, grade 3, which I knew, 100% ER positive and 70% PR positive (I didn’t know the percentage). She also said there was less than 20% chance of local recurrence in my chest and about 50% chance under my armpit. She added that she wouldn’t agree to me having rads until she had spoken to my respiritory consultant or my RA consultant and was more concerned about rads causing fibrosis of the lungs than anything else. She also said I could have an ANC instead. With all the info I now have, I’ve decided no rads which would be 5 weeks, and not 3 as I was first told, just go for the Anastrazole for now and worry about whether to have an ANC if I feel it necessary at a later stage.
Oh yes, I also have vascular invasion which I hope the chemo is getting rid of!! So, job done as far as I’m concerned. Many thanks for your comments and information - it helped me a lot. And good luck to everyone wherever you are in your journey

PG xxx

Hi Poems,

Looks like they are looking after your welfare Kath. You will feel so much better now your decision is made, and you can always change your mind or have the ANC. I have always said the medics filter out too much information they should be telling us at the start, which is why having the path lab reports was so important to me.

Hugs, Linda xxx

Hi Poems

I am glad your decision has gone well.
I was in a similar position in that I have had blood pressure issues and am having Herceptin that puts me at risk of heart failure. In my situation I was told the decision was mine alone and on asking was told there was no evidence rads would help as I had clear margins and no nodes involved so it was not a hard decision to make. I know it has slightly increased my risk of local recurrence but if that does happen I figured I still have that in the armoury - and believe me if it comes back I will use it!

Hope it all goes well!

Kahren

Ansolutely Linda, Unfortunately at my hospital the pathologists don’t put what percentage of your affected nodes contain cancer. I think that the medics feel they are losing control over your treatment if they tell you too much!!

Best Wishes
Kath xxx