January 2024 radiotherapy starters

Good luck all. Is anyone driving themselves to radio or should we be driven? No idea how I will be feeling. Appts are 45 mins away and v early so bit of a pain with kids. Husband happy to take me but might be easier if I can manage. Xx

3 Likes

My husband is taking me. Mostly cos parking is so awful, I can just get out of the car and leave him to park, if it’s bad.
I would prob prefer to go to some by myself as I am quite independent and this whole thing has been a bit limiting for me.
I went to the initial appointment by myself. - obvs I was telling myself it was just a cyst- then they said you’ve got BC. Is anyone with you. Er no.
Xxx

3 Likes

I start on. Wednesday and have a two day weekend break before continuing on the Monday/Tuesday. They normally prefer Monday to Friday but it’s not always possible. I had a dental appointment on the Tuesday before and with the distance I have to travel, they went with the Wednesday.

If you have 15 sessions you would do Monday to Friday each week with a two day weekend off.

Re driving. I was advised that it would be ok to drive myself for a day or two but by day four and five I may be too tired to drive especially as we are an hour away by car

3 Likes

Hi blue80,
My husband is taking me but I understand that my hospital has a free minibus service which i could book if I was struggling…. I’m not sure if this is purely my area but hopefully your breast cancer team would be able to guide you?
I wish you all the best xx

3 Likes

Hi, I had planning meeting on 29th Dec and am starting rads on 17th with 3 days then 2 more after the weekend and it is 3 months since my surgery. I haven’t delayed- just what has happened. I questioned the oncologist about the delay and he said it wasn’t an issue

1 Like

Hi elsie1
I had my op on 1.9.23 and start radiotherapy today, I was told that as my surgery was more extensive than anyone anticipated, I needed 4 months to ensure I healed fully internally.
I have to say that I’m pleased with the timeline as I do feel much better both mentally and physically. I’m not looking forward to the radiotherapy but after hearing all the support from everyone on here, I’m ready to get this (hopefully), final hurdle completed and then get my life back ha ha.
Best wishes to everyone xx

3 Likes

Hi tt59
I hope all went smoothly today

2 Likes

Hi all
Just a quick note to say that I did it!! Yea!! No 1 radiotherapy ticked off and…. I think my fear of the unknown was far worse than the actual treatment! I had 20 minutes, managed the DIBH, which I was very concerned about, and the staff were so very friendly and supportive bless them!
Everyone on here who has their radiotherapy scheduled, I hope everything goes well for you. I’m happy that I CAN get through this now!
Best wishes to you all xx

6 Likes

And me! One down, four to go,
Love to everyone x

6 Likes

Hi all, have my CT scan tomorrow. Bit worried as I’m meant to hold my breath for 30 seconds but can only manage 20! I can get to 30 if I exhale a little in the last 10 seconds :sweat_smile:

I asked about driving to my radio appts and they said I could, although I might feel more tired towards the end of the week ( I’ll have 5 starting on 22nd). I’m an hour away so I’m not sure what to do.

Hi everyone,

My first time posting on here but it does feel nice to know there are lots of us going through the same thing. I had my planning scan today and am due to start 15 days of radiotherapy on the 15th Jan. I have ER + bi lateral breast cancer and I’m 41.
I started crying right before the scan today and the radiographer asked me if I had had chemo, which I replied no. She then said that most people who have had chemo find this bit easy which made me feel even more pathetic. I think I’m a bit hormonal, I started taking tamoxifen 2 days ago and I feel anxious about that and I was really worried about the planning scan. I really needed someone to be kind to me, but she wasn’t and now I feel worse about having to go back and see this woman again who I didn’t feel was understanding at all.

Also, they seemed to have planned all my appointments around the school run when I should be getting my daughter and this has upset me too. Everyone keeps saying that the radiotherapy will make me really tired, but I’m desperately trying to stay positive and hope the fatigue isn’t too bad. Also I’m a bit fed up of everyone who thinks it’s all over as I’ve had the surgery and they got all the cancer out, although I’m relieved at that, this feels like another big hurdle to get over, or am I just being pathetic and hormonal?

So sorry for the lengthy message, I feel like I can’t say this to anyone else. Good luck all with your treatment, hopefully we can help each other get through it. X

8 Likes

Sorry to hear @plum41 , hope they are a bit more sympathetic tomorrow. I have also just started the first of 15 sessions and had neo adjuvant chemo before surgery - I was still nervous about this part starting today! I think no matter the treatment journey, going through it all is tough on us all!
I hope you can find some support for school pick ups to reduce your stress. Good luck to you and all others in the group with your radiotherapy journey x

4 Likes

Hi all,
Just had my second session of 5. I was in and out today really quickly. My boob does feel a bit harder and I feel a bit tingly (like sunburn) but otherwise ok so far. I’m thinking of going by myself tomorrow as it’s another morning appointment. I kind of need some space away from people.
I hope everyone is ok. But also, it’s ok not be be ok. I was so anxious yesterday cos of the unknown, but ok today.
X

5 Likes

Just had a shower and my boob is tender, hard and getting redder - as expected. X

2 Likes

Hi all,

Just had my radiotherapy CT scan and it went well- I managed to hold my breath for as long as they asked - Phew! Found the little markers jags a bit stingy :sweat_smile:. Glad that’s over . Now on to the sessions on 22nd :crossed_fingers:t2:

5 Likes

Hi dear,
I understand you so well, but this reaction are because of the hormones, try to think positive :gift_heart:. I am glad you posted here, I had lots of bad days, mental, but I found here on this forum a real supportive group and lots of information.
I am 43 old, with 3 children, I know is very hard, but trust me you are more stronger than you think, and if you have time, read the experience of all this lovely ladies here on this forum and you will find answers for lots of questions.:gift_heart:
I had 12/20 session, if you are worried about radiotherapy, I have to tell you I was the same.
Now after so many sessions I would like to encourage you, radiotherapy is no painful and you will not feel nothing. About tiredness they told me too, but I don’t feel tired , I would said I am have more energy than before, but our body ar different, and is true I had chemo before radiotherapy and I can’t compare, chemo is stronger and worse than,
If you are lucky you will have different radiotherapy team each time you will go, in my department I meet different team every day, but in conclusion don’t worry, listen what your radiotherapy team will advise you, as they know and seen all possible sides effects or anything else.
All my best with your treatment, please stay positive, days will fly, and soon you will done all sessions.
Big hug to all pinky ladies :hugs:

4 Likes

Hi @copperycat

When I had my planning I managed 30 seconds but they also asked me to let a bit of air out and breathe more in. They said that is really useful for holding for 30 seconds.

I also followed @radchat on Instagram and looked at the resources on this website RESPIRE Project for breath hold and other resources. I was advised to keep practising the breath hold daily. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Hi @plum41

Sorry you are here and feeling so down. I’m also a bilateral breast cancer, there isn’t many of us. I’m Er+ and HER+ so I’ve had lumpectomy and chemotherapy with Herceptin and now radiotherapy with Letrozole afterwards.

Everyone feels different and we are all on different journeys. I can totally understand that you are upset if the appointments are near school pick up. In my experIence of bookings they don’t really care just want to fit you in. My cancer centre is a 69 mile round trip and my last chemotherapy they sent me over 100 mile round trip. I got upset and complained but still nothing. My children are grown up and live over 70 miles away. But I have a young large dog and would have to leave it for 6 hours on a normal trip but the last chemo with extra travel it was 7/8 hours. They didn’t believe it would be that long and just offered a taxi so my husband could stay at home. On he day we were gone for 7 1/2 hours and found someone who could let the dog out after 5/6 hours. Does your cancer centre have a complaints/putting things right department. Is so I would give them a call and see if you can change the time? You may have better luck than me. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you that’s good advice . I did manage to hold it for long enough for the CT scan which I had today. They told me I had a really good inflation and in the end I think it only lasted about 20-25 seconds. So I’m all set now for the actual sessions which they said should be a bit shorter thankfully xx

1 Like

Hi lovely ladies
Good luck to everyone starting/having radiotherapy.
How soon after the end of chemo are you all starting treatment?
I had my planning scan yesterday but no definite start date yet. They offered me 12 days after the end of chemo but I’ve asked if it can start a little later so I can recover from my third EC. I will have 15 sessions.
I’m starting to feel a bit freaked out at the prospect of finishing treatment. No long term hormone options so will feel a little lost at sea. Perhaps I will need to have some counselling.
Good luck to everyone on this journey.

4 Likes