just been diagnosed -secondary

just been diagnosed -secondary

just been diagnosed -secondary Went for my first chemo today for breast cancer. When i got there DR had got results of bone / ct scans which shows that I have secondary cancer in my hip. I have had pain in my hip for a couple of months but never ever did i think that it could be cancer
Am in complete shock -am only 35 so can’t believe this is happening to me. Dr is unable to give me a prognosis at the mo so we are continuing with the chemo treatment as planned. After that I dont know what will be happening
If any one is out there with the same diagnose or has any knowledge of living with this please let me know. All i want is to be around for my son who is only 6

Julie

Hi Julie So Sorry to hear your news, more so as you are so young, but it is possible to live with this awful diagnosis.
I was diagnosed 1999, with Bone-Mets in my Pelvis, Hip, & Back, 8yrs on i am still mobile, i drive, have lots of fun with my Grand-kids, it is early days for you, take one day at a time… ask for help if you need it.
i send you a hug from a long term old hand at coping, and you will too
love from Lucyann

Dear Julie I am sorry to read that you have been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer, you may find Breast Cancer Care’s publication called ‘Secondary bone cancer’ helpful to read , you can read it via the following link:

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/secondary_bone_
cancermar_07_0.pdf

Please also do not hesitate to contact our freephone confidential helpline on 0808 800 6000 for further support and information. The helpline is open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 9am-2pm.

Our team of helpliners are either breast care nurses or have experience of breast cancer and are there to offer you support during this difficult time.

I do hope this information is helpful to you.

Kind regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

Hi Julie sorry to hear your results. I too was diagnosed today with secondary breast cancer and I am in shock too. Its in my superclavical lymph nodes that it has spread to. I go to see the oncologist on Tues to see what chemo i’ve to get. I had a lumpectomy in 2004 and a masectomy in Jan this year. I feel i was just getting back to myself then it hits again. Like yourselve i feel I need support from other cancer sufferers. hope you get on ok

Irene

Hi Julie, I too was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer from the start, my hip fractured…please be kind to yourself, it is a huge shock, it might take a while for you to get your head round things but eventually we all cope of a fashion. I had to have a (succesful) hip replacement and I now have full mobility.
All this happened to me in 2003, I was 44, now in 2007, I feel so much better. I have bisphosphonate tablets to keep my bones strong, some here have bisphosphonate infusions, it’s not a chemo and there’s some info on the cancerbackup site if you want to find out more.
I’ve been completely stable with no progression at all since 2005.
I hope my story has helped. Take care Julie…Belinda…xx

Hi Julie,

I am 34 and i have secondary breast cancer of the spine. I was first diagnosed with breast cancer when my daughter was 9 months old and my son was 9 just before my 32nd birthday. I had a chemo and radio and was put on tamoxifen. I had to has a mastectomy last year. Then i found a small lump under my arm this feb and again was told it was cancer. After further tests the secondary bone cancer was discovered. I am now half way through 6 cycles of chemo and herceptin. The thing that keeps me strong is that i too want to live to see my children grow up, my son is now 11 and my daughter is 3. I will endure anything to spend as much precious time as i can with them. Keep positive, and listen to your body. Rest as much as you can help the chemo to work for you. It’s a rotten thing to happen at any age, it just seems more so when your young like us.

All the very best, keep strong

Hi jools,

I just want to share a bit of my story in the hope that it will encourage you. I have lived with breast cancer for the past 17 years. It hasn’t been easy and I have had a number of recurrences, operations, chemos, rads etc. I was dx with secondaries almost 5 years ago now and have extensive bone mets. But the more I have of life, the more I want and somehow thoughts of imminent death from this disease seem to fade into the distance now. Who knows. Once the treatment got underway for the bone mets I have had huge improvement and am pain free. My kids at the time of dx were 16 & 18 so a little older than yours but it is so good to look back and have seen them go thru uni, and on to enjoying their careers (soooooooo tempting to say I would like grandchildren but resist hinting at all). I enjoyed setting targets I wanted to achieve in the early days - like reaching my 50th birthday, then 60th, of achieving ruby wedding anni - and that happened last year. Don’t ever give up on hope.

lol Dawnhc