just been diagonised

Mmmmm i don’t know where to start it’s been a week since I was told that the Lump they thought was nothing is cancerous. I just woundering what happens after surgery the chemo dealing with not having your breast.
Also woundering how safe it is to remove only one breast since that’s wer they found it or it’s safer to get rid of both.
Is chemo painfull what happens
I’m only 26 with 1 daughter

Hi reejay

so sorry you had to find yourself on this forum. I guess you may be struggling with this diagnosis so early in your life.

This is a great place to start receiving support, even if it is only virtual.  It is fantastic for ranting and raving, sharing your feelings and worries, ask questions, cry and laugh. There always will be someone reaching out to you with a virtual hug, shared experience or an answer to your particular question/s.

I’ll try to answer some of your initial ones, as much as it is possible…

Depending on your initial diagnosis from the biopsy, which may already have been taken - a treatment plan should be put together by your multidisciplinary treatment team. You should also have a breast care nurse assigned to you, who generally is your central point of reference for any questions and concerns you may have.

There are various surgery options, which, I am sure will be discussed with you - it may be a lumpectomy or mastectomy - it may be before or after chemotherapy, should that be required. Should a mastectomy be the suggested route - a reconstruction usually is possible, either at time of operation or post active treatment. The question of should both breasts go - may well be dependant on whether your team choses to have a gene test done. As, should you carry a certain gene it may be a safer option to reduce the posssibility of the cancer returning into the other breast. So, if I may suggest, check with your treatment team, whether they are considering the test for BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes.

Chemo is not painful - it is manageable - but one step at a time…

It may be challenging for you, but ask as many questions as you possibly can when in any consultation.

Take a piece of paper, write the questions down before you go and jot down the answers you are being given.

You should initially be told - What type of cancer they think it is, what stage and grade the biopsy shows it and what the ‘receptors’ are on the cancer. All of this information will help you to understand much better the type of treatment options they are going to discuss with you and why they are suggesting them. If you wish - you can share this information with us on this thread and it may help to point you in the right direction for relevant support threads on this forum, too.

I shall look out for you, so I can support you and also direct you to threads, which you may find of help.

Such as this one - where younger women share some of their concerns and support each other - forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Younger-women-and-families/bd-p/4449

Thye next few weeks are likely to be a heck of a roller coaster and may appear to be very frightening.

You may feel very anxious perhaps even angry with yourself. One day you may feel ok and the next day you may be in floods of tears. This is completely normal - it is a heck of a shock, which you now need to deal with. The early stages on the path of getting better are for many, very distressing, however, once the plan of how to deal with all is in place it does get much better.

Huge hug

Sue xxx