Just diagnosed - age29 - any advice?

As of yesterday I officially have invasive ductal breast cancer. It came as a bit of a shock as have no family history of it and am otherwise very fit and healthy.
I have 2 young children (aged 3 and 21months) so trying to be as normal as possible for their sake.
I’m going in to have Sentinal Node Biopsy tomorrow (nervous!) and then after results come back I’ll be having chemo before surgery in the hope to save my breast.

Does anyone have any advice for me as to what to expect? Or has anyone else had their chemo before surgery?

Would welcome hearing from anyone - it feels a bit lonely doing this at 29 :frowning:

Thanks

Hi

Sorry you have had to join us. I am not as young as you (39) but was dx last year when my children were 4 and 2. Having little ones is hard, but they cope really well. Good luck with your biospy. Don’t be surprised if your boob stays blue for quite a while. Mine is still blue now and my op was April. You are probably still in shock, but keep posting with your questions and feelings.

Take care of yourself.

Debx

Thanks Deb

I have heard about the blue dye thing so am prepared to have a blue boob and blue wee aswell! I’m hoping to just try and see the funny side of things like that - will try and laugh my way through this nightmare otherwise I’ll just cry.
How did you explain it to your children? Did you have hair loss that you had to explain to your 4yr old?

x

Hi mummy29,

So sad that another youngster has had to join the ‘club’, I’m 36 and a mum of teens, but I know there are quite a few ladies in their 20’s on this site somewhere , I hope they come along soon to offer support.

Sending a massive hug your way x

Hiya

sorry to hear about your diagnosis, I was told I had invasive ductal cancer last march, similar to you, aged 36, 2 sons then aged 4 and 2. No risk factors or family history. So I know how shocked you will be feeling now but it does pass and you do get to grips with things and settle into a new sort of routine to get through it. I am 10 months on and mostly feel like me again. There are a lot of young mums on here sadly but it is generally a very supportive place to be. There is a thread for those diagnosed in their twenties and I will try znd find it for you.

My breast was only blue for a month or so after snb!

Good luck with your treatments, you will be amazed at how you find the strength to get through it

vickie
x

Hi, sorry you have to be here.

I had surgery first, but quite a few people have had chemo first - usually with great success at shrinking tumour. I’m sure someone will come along and give you some advice.

Good luck with SNB tomorrow - op’s OK, but it does leave you with numb arm and odd feelings and stiffness as they have to disturb the nerves.
make sure you do the exercises so you regain full mobility. I still have partly blue boob - op on Sept 8th.
By the way - accept all offers of help from friends and family. They like to help and you will really benefit from it.
Best wishes. Stella

Thanks for all your comments. I’m very lucky to have a fab husband and wonderful parents and in-laws who live very close by so I do have a fantastic support network around me.
Its so sad, but also comforting, to see so many people on here that are going through the same thing.
Its just so scary not knowing what to expect. I’m sure in a few months time I’ll be a pro!
Feeling ok about having the chemo at the moment, but I’m sure once I’ve started experiencing the side effects it’ll be a different story.

Vickie - I’m so pleased to hear that you’re feeling more like yourself again now. I’m trying to focus on that time when I’ll be through the worst of it.

x

Hi,
Sorry you are here with us all, but it is a great place to find support, tips and advice.

I am 40, 3 kids, with the youngest being 5. I was diagnosed with invasive bc in October. I am also having chemo upfront, and have done 3 fec and 1 tax so far. I am sure you will get a lot of support from your friends and family, and from this forum. If you want to send me a pm with any specific questions, please do.

There is a book called ‘mummy’s lump’ which is readily available, and suitable for nursery age children. You might find that helpful.

All the best- it doesn’t get any better for a little while, bit it does get easier,
Tracey

I have attached the link to the Mummy’s lump book which Tracey mentions

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/18/

Very best wishes

Janet
BCC Facilitator

Mummy29, beware!!! Mummys lump book made me cry! Have your tissues ready. It is a good resource though, I didn’t actually read it to my boys but pinched ideas from
it, like Chemo being special
medicine you only have at hospital etc.

I will try and search out my first ever post and bump it up for you. It’s called something like hello,36 and diagnosed march 2010. You will see the strain and horror I felt at that time and be able to compare it to how I feel now, which is mostly good. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Going thru thd tunnel is pretty sh!!ty at times but not all the time for all people. Have a look at the good days even through Chemo thread for proof.

Take care, accept help, good luck tomorrow
vickie
xxx

good luck tommaz mummy29

sorry you have to join us all on here, but the support is amazing, i have found it invaluable.

i think whatever your age the shock and feelings are very simular. so always feel free to post whatever you feel, or want to ask, someone will have advice/tips

im 41, invasive d bc. dx sept 10, had 3 fec and 3 left. ceo after surgery.

my partner has 2 girls 7 and 9, and e told them i had to have a lump out, and thta i have special medicine to stop me going into hospital again. they also cut my hair in a game of lets play live girls world! then partner shaved it on his turn, they are a brilliant support and kids never take things like we think.

hugs xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Mummy29,

Sending a BIG hug to you x Sorry you have to join us x

Im 34 and have an 18 month old girl and have recently been diagnosed Dec 2010 with a grade 3 BC ive had the lump removed with clear margins, and also had a SNB ( I had a blue boob and still have a bit) I just had a full axillary node clearance as there was cancer in one of my nodes.
Sending you good luck for tommorow and the surgery is not to bad atall.
This site has been really good for me and the people on here are soo lovely and it helps to know that you are not on your own.

Hugs to you Donna xxx

Hi
I’m sorry I didn’t get back yesterday. Good luck with your snb today. My daughter was five by the time I had Chemo and in hindsight I told her too soon about the yucky medicine that was going to make my hair fall out. But it was a little bit of an issue to begin with, mostly because she has beautiful poker straight blonde hair that she loves and she couldn’t understand how I could be ok with losing mine. But once she saw that I was, she was fine and it has never been an issue. Now that it is growing back, she pats my head and says, it’s looking good mam.
Take it slowly and you know your children. I vividly remember telling her about the cancer and what was going to happen and then asking if she had any questions, she said yes , how does a car work? Kids are great!

Thinking of you

Debx

Thanks everyone.

Deb, that is so funny what your daughter asked about the car! Kids are great, you’re right, and I’m sure they’ll play a massive part in keeping me strong through this.
Leaving for hospital in about 1.5hrs, not too nervous really, just want it done as I feel its step one on my road to recovery.

Tracey, thanks for the tip about the book, I will have a look at it.

Its amazing how kind people are being when I tell them my news, there’s been no end of offers to help with the children so I know we’ll all be fine. I’m not looking forward to the chemo but I think I have a few weeks to wait until that starts.

Fingers, toes and everything crossed that I get good results from the SNB.

Love to all

Jen x

Hi Jen,

Sorry you have to join us. I was diagnosed with secondaries from the start, so didn’t have op at all. I don’t have kids, so don’t have any good suggestions on that either. I had 2 kinds of chemo since diagnose, so maybe able to help a little.

I saw you’re already getting lots of supports from others, so hope you’re finding their advice useful.

Just pop in to let you know that I’m one of those in the 20s club. So, will keep you company in the age group!!

Take care xx

Hi mummy29

Sorry you’ve had to join the club, but glad you’ve found us. This website is full of wonderful ladies who can laugh, cry and scream with you through this.

I was diagnosed the day after my 30th birthday…not quite the surprise I was hoping for…lol. It’s such a shock to be told, just take 1 step at a time and you’ll soon be through this.

Big hugs and hope all goes well with the SNB today!
Cat xx

Bump - for Terri

Well I’m back from having SNB, surgery wasn’t bad at all, just feel a bit sore today and have a blue boob and blue wee!!

MY surgeon asked if I would let some research guy have half of the node/s they removed so they could do research on it using lasers. They think they’re going to be able to just shine a light at these cells in the future to see if they’re normal or not, meaning diagnosis will take minutes rather than days. Isn’t it great - I hope it works.

How is everyone doing?
x

Hello:)
i am 17 years old and have just been diagnosed with a rare type of cancer called Phyllodes tumour. It was a MASSIVE shock after being told for 11 months my lump was “perfectly normal breast tissue”
Unfortunately i have no advice as of yet, but thought i’d leave a comment to let you know you’re not the only one! I’m terrified to have a mastectomy and am finding it hard to come to terms with.

I wish you the very best, ellie x