Just diagnosed...waiting for surgeon appt

Hi, I also have just been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I got the call in the middle in the second to last day of school this past week and it is my last week of teaching. I was not looking for this kind of a retirement present. It is invasive ductal carcinoma stage 2 and they biopsied a lymph node too and it has cancer. I can’t remember what all the doctor said and the reports are not available from the imaging office until Tuesday so I called my regular doctor and asked for a copy of the report and am getting that today. Not sure I really want all the details that I might have missed on the phone, but it will be good information. I am really mad about all of this! Is anyone else feeling anger??

Hi funfriend

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support. I’m sorry to read of your diagnosis, the first few days and weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with things and getting to grips with your treatment plans, etc.

As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They’re on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

I retired from full time work this time last year and within months was diagnosed with grade 2 IDC and had to have mastectomy as I had two separate areas affected.  It certainly was not what I wanted for a retirment gift as I had been looking forward so much to having more time to do the things I like.  It seemed so unfair to be going to endless scary hospital appointments instead and I was raging inside for a long time.   Good luck with your surgery and all the best for any further treatment.