Just had my appointment with Oncologist

Just had my appointment with the Oncologist who explained everything in detail. I am due to have a Hickman line inserted next Thursday followed by my first dose of Chemo. I am having 3 doses of CEF followed by 3 doses of Taxotere. Does this make sense to anyone?

Tracey x

Hi Tracey

Yes it does make sense. I think you’re having FEC (same as CEF except in reverse order?) This is exactly what I had and each letter of F E C stands for 3 separate types of chemos. I also had Taxotere like you. These were given to me every three weeks.

I hope it all goes well. Make sure you ask about anti sickness medication because FEC can make you feel a little sick but the medication counteracts it.

Best wishes

Ruby xxx

My own appointment is still a couple of weeks away - but thanks for the explanation Ruby - I’ve been wondering what these letters stood for. Down they go in my little black book of questions, along with the anti-sickness medication query. Patients are expected to suffer side effects of any medical treatment in stoic silence in Finland - not being a Finn myself, I don’t see why.
Cheers, M-L

Hi Tracey

Whilst you await your appointment and further information, here are a couple of links to BCC publications on the treatments you have been prescribed which you may find helpful to read, you can cut and paste them to read them online or order them via our helpline on 0808 800 6000:

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/fecchemotherapyjuly06_0.pdf

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/taxotere_jan_08_0.pdf

You are welcome to call the helpline for further support and advice about any aspect of your diagnosis or treatments which you are not sure about, you can call for a ‘listening ear’ if you feel that talking things through would help.

Best wishes
Lucy