Just moved to the UK from US-where do I start with treatment

I had a mammogram the week that I moved from the US. After some cocerns from the test, I flew back to California and had a biopsy. Last night I found out that the tumor is malignant. I don’t know where to go now for treatment. Do I contact an oncologist straight away or meet with a surgeon? I don’t even have a general doctor yet as we have only been in England for a month. I have private insurance and I live in Sunningdale. If anyone has any advice or any recommendations for hospitals or doctors, I would be very grateful.

Hi Entilford

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums and welcome to the UK.  For some advice as to where to go from here, could I suggest you give our helpline team a call, they will be able to point you in the right direction.  Calls to the helpline are free 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

I would hope that by now you have registered with  a local GP…then you can be reffered to the local hospital…

I moved from Portugal to UK, no local doctor and had results from Portugal. I joned the local GP practice and they put me on a fast track. I don’t know if you qualify for NHS treatment its worth finding out. I have had first class treatment on the NHS and really do not think I could of got better if went private. Perhaps I am lucky I live in Somerset. Push for this fast track system. Before my op I felt like I was on a roller coaster ride, but as have now had it feel how lucky I am! Good luck Buttxx

Hi Entilfod
You may find this NHS link useful regarding medical treatment whilst in the UK.

nhs.uk/chq/pages/1087.aspx?categoryid=68&subcategoryid=162

Find the comment that you will get better treatment going private than nhs slightly disingenuous ! I am treated by nhs but both my surgeon and oncologist practice privately . I’m sure they don’t dumb down their expertise because I don’t have private health insurance ! Apart from the odd admin blip that can happen anywhere so far my nhs treatment has been fantastic . I am now treated at Christies which is one of the leading cancer treatment centres in Europe .