Just started rads... feeling sick! Is that normal?

Hi,

This is the first time I have posted on here, but I have been reading the posts since I found out I had BC back in November.

I started my Rads yesterday and felt very sick afterwards… trying to work out if it was the incredibly hot humid weather or if it was the Rads. I suffered very badly with sickness during Chemo and after my surgery. In fact, I suffer with nausea alot, in the car, pregnancy etc.

Has anyone else felt sick after their Rads??
THANK YOU!

I haven’t felt sick myself and haven’t heard of anyone else. That doesn’t mean it isn’t your personal reaction, of course. Could it be stress and anxiety rather than the actual rads? But don’t rule out more everyday causes, because stomach bugs just love hot, humid weather.

Hello KatieJane

Welcome to the forums, I’m sorry to hear that you are having a tough time at the moment. I’m sure the users of this site will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes
June, moderator

Hi KatieJane,

It is worth mentioning it to the team doing your rads, and also your onc,

are you drinking plenty of water, before and after your treatment, I wasnt to begin with and found I felt a bit weak and shaky,

I did get very anxious at the start of my treatment, which I dont think helps,

keep us posted on how you get on,

best wishes Liz xxxx

hi katie jane if you go to page 10 of posts you will find one titled feeling sick…radio?posted by sarah63 maybe it will help x

saw my onc today for first time , have to wait 10 days to go and get " marked up " , then another week for rads to start - thats 15 plus 2 boosters , thats changed cus initially said 15 but hey ho , started my tamoxifen tonight , totally dreading the side effects , i always dread going to the hospital and today no different , cried my eyes out again when got home, i think its fear by association , but cant let it become a problem , i actually had thoughts tonight when i thought sod the treatment and tamoxifen with all their side effects , ill take my chances without but sanity is slowly returning and i realise that prob wouldnt be sensible thing to do ! almost 3 weeks to treatment and so wanted it sooner , cant always have what you want eh ? just needed to release a bit of this angst and today was the first time i questioned why me , i am such a giving person it hurt to think that way but i did, maybe i need to meet and talk to others like me xxxxxxxxxxxx

Trish, this is a very good place to express any feelings that you can’t express elsewhere, as we all know what you are talking about.

Unless you are very unlucky, you shouldn’t have too many side effects from the radiotherapy. Just follow the guidelines about skin care and having plenty to drink. The main SE should just be tiredness, plus perhaps occasional twinges of pain in the surgery area and temporary pink skin possibly leading to a ‘tanned’ patch. If there is more than this, you should report it right away and you should get help. The machinery can seem scary at first, but you get used to it.

I hope you don’t have too many SEs from tamoxifen (I’m taking a different one for the post-menopausal). One problem is that it’s so easy to think yourself into some of the SEs, and then it’s hard to know whether to go ask for help or not. When I was going through natural menopause, just thinking about hot flushes was enough to bring one on. How rotten is that? But at the same time, if you are suffering SEs with any of your treatment, it’s important to tell the doctor, radiotherapists, or the BCN.