Laser therapy and hivamat oscillation therapy

I’m hoping someone will be able to offer some advice. My B C. Nurse noticed some swelling in my reconstruction, the skin had a “peau d’orange effect. I was referred to the lymphoedema clinic where I was seen today by the nurse. She tested the reconstructed breast with a machine which showed up a reading of 85 and 86 in the bottom quadrants and 76 I think in top left quadrant. The nurse has advised that it maybe due to surgery or radiotherapy or both. I’m quite upset as I have been doing my exercises and massaging daily. ( my surgery was Oct 22).
The nurse has shown me how to do lymphatic drainage massage, and advised to continue to moisturise and massage the breast.

She has booked me in for 4 sessions of laser and hivamat therapy. I have no knowledge of what this is? Or how it works? Has anyone had this therapy? Has it worked? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS BACK ON TRACK WITH MY NEW NORMAL.

TIA

1 Like

Hi

Yes I’ve had this therapy and it does reduce the swelling, it softens the tissues but you still have to massage daily. Hope this helps.

that’s bad news. I find I get odd pains from my reconstruction. I have no idea why. But it still looks ok. I don’t have many lymph nodes though so maybe my supply of lymph is low.

Seagulls

Hello Sab53,

Thanks for posting.

Laser therapy and Himavat or deep oscillation is a form of physical therapy that can help with a range of different conditions. As @Mary_1 explains it has helped with her lymphoedema. There is very little information on NHS websites. Much of the information about it is on physiotherapy websites.

The lymphoedema clinic you are attending may have more information, or the nurse can explain what’s involved. Here is more information about treating lymphoedema.

You may also find the Lymphoedema Support Network of help.

You explain feeling as though you were on track but now this has happened. It can be difficult to more forward when experiencing on going side effects of treatment. As well as the information, our Moving Forward courses might be of interest. Here are the details of all the free services we offer.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thre